Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Apimaye Hive vs Paradise Bee Box  (Read 2281 times)

Offline Nakamamatay

• Brood
Apimaye Hive vs Paradise Bee Box
« on: March 28, 2019, 06:20:12 am »
Sorry if this has been covered already. I am not very good at navigating this forum and my google searches never came up with much.

I am hoping to hear from people who have used both the Apimaye hives and Paradise Bee Boxes.
Looking for a direct comparison between them if possible.
I would like to transfer my colonies from 8F wooden hives to either one of these types of hives, just I am stumped as to which one to go with.

What I see so far is:
Apimaye is a lot more expensive, only comes with 2 deep boxes, only available in 10F, not compatible with wooden frames, costs a lot to add additional supers. Apimayes are also probably more solid in construction and durable, no need to paint, have more included features such as pollen traps, top feeder and whatnot.

Paradise hives are cheaper and come with 3 deep boxes, are available in 8(9) frame option or 10 frame, are fairly durable, and should yield similar performance insulation wise and they also come flat packed so cheaper on shipping I'd assume. They are probably going to be less durable though and not as 'flash', need painting, have the possibility of bees or other things chewing them.

What do people prefer and see as being the way to go for a small commercial setup? I am located near Perth WA.

Keen to see what people have to say, and feel free to redirect me to existing discussion on this or to correct any of the points I mentioned above.

Cheers

Online BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Apimaye Hive vs Paradise Bee Box
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2019, 06:51:20 am »
First of all welcome to Beemaster.
Second of all no need to apologize for asking any question. We love to answer them no matter how many times they were asked before.
We do not have either of those hives here in the states but here is my advice.
If you are young and strong, those 10 frame deeps may not be a problem. They get to way over 100 pounds when full of honey.
I run all 10 frame mediums and if I was starting over, I would have all 8 frame mediums. The 10 frame mediums can still get pretty heavy, especially when trying to get a sticky propolis super off of a hive.
Something to think about.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Nakamamatay

• Brood
Re: Apimaye Hive vs Paradise Bee Box
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2019, 12:04:45 pm »
Thanks mate. Yes, a big consideration for me will longevity in the industry. 10 frame deeps are fine for me now and when doing just a few hives, but as my back gets worse and I have more hives, then yeah, probably not ideal. Hence why I run 8 frames and would be keen to stick with 8 frames if I can. I think one advantage of the paradise hive would be that they weigh less than wooden supers as well. Any weight saving multiplied throughout the day can be helpful!