Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: What's eating my bees?  (Read 1261 times)

Offline Bob Wilson

• Queen Bee
What's eating my bees?
« on: May 02, 2020, 01:22:21 am »
I found 11 bee abdomens on top of one hive and 6 on the one next to it. No other bee parts. What do you suppose killed them?
I saw a Summer Tanager a few days ago. I had to look it up to figure out what kind of bird it was. My bird book said they love to eat bees. But in parts, leaving the abdomen? I have seen no dragon flies yet.

Offline JurassicApiary

• House Bee
Re: What's eating my bees?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2020, 01:26:39 am »
I believe your bird suspicion is on point. Sounds like it waited on top of the hives and plucked them as they were coming and going, hence the debris piles. Perhaps the bird species knows better than to eat the abdomen to avoid a stinger in the throat...

I see birds and lizards hang out near my hives frequently.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Bob Wilson

• Queen Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2020, 02:01:36 am »
it is true that when we first saw the bird, it was standing on top of one of my swarm boxes.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2020, 07:11:02 am »
Bob,
I do not worry about birds eating my bees. We have bluebirds here year around, probably because we have a half a dozen bluebird houses all around our property. They eat bees but not enough to worry about.
Same with e dragonflies. The big concern with both is when your queens are making their maiden flights. Then they can bee a real problem. We had one queen breeder in GA that had to move their mating hives due to dragonflies.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline van from Arkansas

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2020, 09:21:45 am »
Tanangers, cat birds, dragon fly, robber fly, European hornet: they all eat my bees.  I hate the robber fly the most, just can?t stand that darn fly.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2020, 09:45:33 am by van from Arkansas »
I have been around bees a long time, since birth.  I am a hobbyist so my answers often reflect this fact.  I concentrate on genetics, raise my own queens by wet graft, nicot, with natural or II breeding.  I do not sell queens, I will give queens  for free but no shipping.

Offline paus

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2020, 11:04:02 am »
I found what I think are robber flies eating my bees.  I posted about this and someone was kind enough to post a picture,  It resembles a dragon fly.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2020, 11:20:48 am by paus »

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2020, 12:19:30 pm »
I found what I think are robber flies eating my bees.  I posted about this and someone was kind enough to post a picture,  It resembles a dragon fly.

I think it was Member or Mr van that posted the picture?
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline FloridaGardener

• Field Bee
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2020, 02:36:58 pm »
A friend had fly problems from chickens next door.  Problem was solved by hanging fly paper UNDER the hive stand.  Bess don't fly low.  Flies seek out the sticky-paper. 

Several weeks later: no bees on the sticky-paper... hardly any flies in the air now... and time for fresh fly paper.

Offline van from Arkansas

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2020, 11:09:11 pm »
Florida, a robber fly is the size of a red wasp, about one inch in length.  They are a predator fly, nothing at all like the common fly.  The robber fly will eat a common fly, and bees and anything else the robber wishes as they are faster than most flying insects.
I have been around bees a long time, since birth.  I am a hobbyist so my answers often reflect this fact.  I concentrate on genetics, raise my own queens by wet graft, nicot, with natural or II breeding.  I do not sell queens, I will give queens  for free but no shipping.

Offline FloridaGardener

• Field Bee
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2020, 11:21:32 pm »
 :cheesy:
Well, it's going to take some big fly-paper then!  :cheesy:

anything