Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Drones self feeding.  (Read 1361 times)

Offline van from Arkansas

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
Drones self feeding.
« on: April 24, 2020, 01:01:32 pm »
FYI, a little thing.

I have read many times that drones cannot or will not feed themselves.  That the drones depend on nurse bees to feed them.

To the contrary, I watched a drone feeding out of a nectar cell during my last inspection.  Maybe a unique event and not a typical one???, can?t say for sure.  I can say I have seen drones feed themselves.  Also, from my experience, caged drones don?t last very long, hours, not days without nurse bees.

I have been around bees a long time, since birth.  I am a hobbyist so my answers often reflect this fact.  I concentrate on genetics, raise my own queens by wet graft, nicot, with natural or II breeding.  I do not sell queens, I will give queens  for free but no shipping.

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
Re: Drones self feeding.
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2020, 01:23:12 pm »
I have seen that a time or two as well, a drone with his head in a honey cell, seemingly eating.  Maybe they are just investigating the food and not actually eating it.
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline CoolBees

• Queen Bee
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2020, 02:14:49 pm »
Don't get me started on this topic! I'd argue with anyone who claimed Drones can't feed themselves. ...

The last few yrs, I've gone to foundationless & unlimited brood nest. What I got was zillions of drones. By itself, that's not really a problem. Except: when you inspect a 7 box high hive, and you find 4 boxes with open nectar, and every frame is completely covered on both sides with drones with their heads in the cells Slurping down the nectar. Meanwhile, the workers are having a terrible time pushing their way thru the mass of drones, to get any work done.... and then you end the flow with 6 frames of capped honey from the hive.

Yes sir - drones can feed themselves just fine, to my observation.

I suppose: that the nectar would have to be of a certain quality/composition for them - then ok.

... and, I could have misinterpreted what I was seeing, but I certainly don't think so.

I bought some queen Excluders for this year - for this very reason. ... so I could get some honey too!  :grin:

Ugh!
You cannot permanently help men by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves - Abraham Lincoln

Offline van from Arkansas

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2020, 02:39:42 pm »
Thank you Member and Cool for your input.  Cool, I believe your observation, thanks; that affirms my observation also.
I have been around bees a long time, since birth.  I am a hobbyist so my answers often reflect this fact.  I concentrate on genetics, raise my own queens by wet graft, nicot, with natural or II breeding.  I do not sell queens, I will give queens  for free but no shipping.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2020, 03:17:47 pm »
Don't get me started on this topic! I'd argue with anyone who claimed Drones can't feed themselves. ...

The last few yrs, I've gone to foundationless & unlimited brood nest. What I got was zillions of drones. By itself, that's not really a problem. Except: when you inspect a 7 box high hive, and you find 4 boxes with open nectar, and every frame is completely covered on both sides with drones with their heads in the cells Slurping down the nectar. Meanwhile, the workers are having a terrible time pushing their way thru the mass of drones, to get any work done.... and then you end the flow with 6 frames of capped honey from the hive.

Yes sir - drones can feed themselves just fine, to my observation.

I suppose: that the nectar would have to be of a certain quality/composition for them - then ok.

... and, I could have misinterpreted what I was seeing, but I certainly don't think so.

I bought some queen Excluders for this year - for this very reason. ... so I could get some honey too!  :grin:

Ugh!

Just another reason I am using QE this season to keep the drones out of the honey supers along with the queen.

Phillip Hall
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline AR Beekeeper

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2020, 05:34:27 pm »
Young drones feed themselves, but after they mature the nurse bees do the feeding.  That is why the drones hang out at the edge of the brood nest area.

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2020, 09:17:28 am »

My question is why does the hive have so many drones?  I have never used a QE and would regularly harvest two boxes of honey from each hive.  Up north anyway.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2020, 09:50:01 am »
 I do not know the answer to that Ace.  I have been told that going foundationless, they tend to build more drone comb. (Which up till now, I have done). There could be several theories. My experience level is not there.

Phillip Hall
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2020, 10:02:49 am »
> My question is why does the hive have so many drones?  I have never used a QE and would regularly         
   harvest two boxes of honey from each hive.  Up north anyway.

Ace did you go foundationless while you were in NY?

Phillip Hall

Offline CoolBees

• Queen Bee
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2020, 01:44:31 pm »

My question is why does the hive have so many drones?  I have never used a QE and would regularly harvest two boxes of honey from each hive.  Up north anyway.

I don't know the answer to that Ace.

Genetics?
Climate?
Location?
Something else?

Wish I knew.
You cannot permanently help men by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves - Abraham Lincoln