Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Updates :)  (Read 1093 times)

Offline amymcg

• Field Bee
    • http://www.mcglothlinmusic.com
Updates :)
« on: April 20, 2020, 04:35:30 pm »
Hey guys, so I spent all winter reading up on the suggested websites you all suggested from my post in the pest control forum.  At the end of March I got two packages, which is a little early for New England, but I wanted to have bees in time for the first main nectar flow.  Since it was cold, I loaded them both into 5 frame nucs with drawn comb and at a frame of honey and pollen for each of them.  I checked on them briefly after 5 days to make sure the queens had been released. Hive A had queen released and it there were some eggs.  Hive B had not released her queen, so I let her out and then tucked them back in since it was still chilly.

About 10 days ago, I had a nice warm day so I moved them into 10 frame polystyrene hives as quickly as possible. They are settling in nicely and at that point I also put hive top feeders on.  They have since emptied them twice. I went in just now for a quick inspection to see how things are going.  Hive A, which released their queen earliest looks fantastic. Several frames of capped brood and they are starting to draw out the one foundation frame I had put into it.  Hive B is definitely a little smaller and the brood pattern isn't as nice, but they are sucking down lots of sugar water and she is laying.  I'm going to feed them one more round, these feeders hold about 3/4 of a gallon, and then they will be on their own.

These were VSH packages and I've noticed they are both a bit cranky for early in the season. Lots of head butting. I took my phone out at one point to get pictures, they did NOT like that.

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
Re: Updates :)
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2020, 09:11:31 pm »
Welcome back ,
Its always great to see the names of early forum members pop up when I log in.
I'm not nearly as active as I once was , but do stop in occasionally.
I have no experience with those particular bees, but other hybrids Ive toyed with seemed to have some" personality" traits I didnt care for.

I may not remember correctly, but didn't you teach musical instruments to children?

Offline amymcg

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2020, 09:25:11 pm »
Hi Buzzbee

Yes that?s correct! I have a full time college teaching job now. Luckily we?ve been able to transfer most things online and hopefully we will be back on campus for the fall. I teach band ensembles as well and I?m definitely missing that.

Amy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Nock

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2020, 09:54:26 pm »
I?ve got one Russian hybrid. So far it?s very laid back hive.

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2020, 10:25:18 pm »
I had a russian hybrid colony that became so mean it was terrible. It was a very strong and productive colony,but mean as all get out.
I thought Id go through the hive and per her, but with the large number of angry bees it was futile. I took probably fifty stings through the pants before quitting for supper.
I had contemplated going out and burning it to the ground, but then thought better of that idea.
I thought well, divide and conquer.   I set up another bottom board a few feet away and just hastily took half the boxes off and placed on the other bottom board.
After considerably more stings and a cloud of bees hovering around me I got the task accomplished.
I left them alone for a couple days and never had any trouble after that. They both survived the ordeal and I either had multiple queens in one box or transferred enough fresh eggs that box 2 was able to requeen itself.
I know this is an extreme case,but the harvest made it worthwhile.   
And I dont know if it was the Russian traits or something else, but I lost my interest in that breed. And I know a lot of people keep them without incident.

Next time I have a hive like that ,regardless of breed, it will be dealt with differently. :smile:

Offline Nock

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2020, 10:27:34 pm »
I hope these don?t turn out like that. Haha

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2020, 10:31:07 pm »
I'm sure yours will be fine.
This was just a mild disagreement between me and the bees.

Offline amymcg

• Field Bee
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2020, 10:56:45 pm »
Was watching my entrances today. I have fuzzy new drones. . .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

anything