Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Moving heavy hivesq  (Read 871 times)

Offline TheFuzz

• House Bee
Moving heavy hivesq
« on: July 27, 2019, 11:57:33 pm »
I want to move some beehives around for upcoming Spring. Problem is, they're a bit heavy, even when I've got them down to a single super, and moving them is bad for my weak back. I'm having difficulty finding someone willing to give me a hand moving them.

What do you guys do?

Offline cao

• Super Bee
Re: Moving heavy hivesq
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2019, 12:18:16 am »
Sorry for you situation. :sad: 

Fortunately my cousin and I started keeping bees at the same time so if I need some help I can usually depend on him.  When the hives are smaller I can wrestle them around some.  I do have a couple of carts that are about the same height as my stands.  It makes it easier since I don't have to bend over much when moving them.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2019, 01:03:27 am »
Have you fellows seen this? I do not know if it will lift a complete hive, but it should be worth checking into. If I had a bad back and, or older I would seriously look into this further, in fact I need to look into this further even now.
I have mentioned this before.  Best to you. Phillip

https://youtu.be/9vWbygbyibA

I am editing to add this.
I just found another video with even another tool that should be very helpful to aging or physically impaired beekeepers. These tools look very promising, on the outside looking in.. What do you think? Wishing the best to all my fellow beekeepers who may be discouraged because of the physical inability to not be able to do what you once could have done without assistance. As my grandaddy use to say, "If there is a will, there is a way"
Phillip

https://youtu.be/zQKpplSwS3A
« Last Edit: July 28, 2019, 01:28:40 am by Ben Framed »
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Sputnik

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2019, 08:57:44 am »
My beekeeper friend is a retired NFL linebacker. Real good at lifting and toting.