Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Split Population  (Read 882 times)

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
Split Population
« on: July 21, 2019, 05:39:27 pm »
I did some splits at my parents house the Sixth . I brought them to my home, after placing them in mating nucs, (Full frame mating nucs). I added robbing scenes, SHB prevention, making sure to do everything right as it is getting later in the season. Most everyone says split heavy this time of season. I did not after taking the other necessary precautions. These should be hatching any time now. I kind of did an experiment on one of these, The frame in which I split had 2 emergency QC, The frame was only 2/3 drawn out with fresh white comb but reinforced with fishing line. This same frame had a little capped brood, and enough honey to take care of the bees that were covering it all. My question; When this queen hatches and makes her mating flight, will most of this small band of bees follow and go with her or, will most stay, waiting for her to return mated? I realize the odds are against this being successful but this is a learning process for me. I figure IF she does make it back successfully I can always add a frame of capped brood to help her out?
Phillip
« Last Edit: July 21, 2019, 05:57:20 pm by Ben Framed »
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Split Population
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2019, 08:14:36 pm »
Phillip,
Some hives send out a swarm of bees to saturate the air, to confuse predators, when the queen goes on her mating flight, many do not. How far they go I do not know.
I watched this happen twice. The first time I sat at the entrance and caught the queen as she exited. I thought they were swarming. I kept her in a queen catcher and put her in a box. The majority of the bees did not follow her into the box.  Eventually I released her back I. The original hive. The next time it happened, I just watched. Shortly afte she left, the rest of the bees returned to the hive.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2019, 09:55:12 pm »
Phillip,
Some hives send out a swarm of bees to saturate the air, to confuse predators, when the queen goes on her mating flight, many do not. How far they go I do not know.
I watched this happen twice. The first time I sat at the entrance and caught the queen as she exited. I thought they were swarming. I kept her in a queen catcher and put her in a box. The majority of the bees did not follow her into the box.  Eventually I released her back I. The original hive. The next time it happened, I just watched. Shortly afte she left, the rest of the bees returned to the hive.
Jim Altmiller

Awesome, Thanks Jim
Phillip
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Nock

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2019, 10:09:19 pm »
Good info Jim. Thanks