Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Bee shed  (Read 1626 times)

Offline Brian MCquilkin

• House Bee
    • Ideal Honey Bees
Bee shed
« on: October 16, 2020, 01:01:01 pm »
I have a small shed that is near my heated work shop. I'm thinking If  I ran a 2 inch insulated pipe from the work shop to the shed.  I will not insulate the shed  at all but thought a little heat might take the chill off. I have about 12  nucs that I would put in the shed. Most of the nucs are 5 over5. Each nuc woul have a 1/2 inch pvc pipe that would go thou the wall of the shed to the out side. under each pipe would be a landing board. Not trying to heat to much but think it would make a great windbreak  If successful I could over winter about 60 nucs in this shed.
Despite my efforts the bees are doing great

Offline beesnweeds

• House Bee
Re: Bee shed
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2020, 09:16:17 pm »
  I have very good success with 5 over 5. and I don't insulate them.  But Wisconsin may have consistently lower temps than UPS NY.  You could try running 6 in the shed and 6 out.  Sometimes I think we're better off trying things ourselves, no 2 beekeepers think alike.  I don't know how big your shed is, but if you have 60 nucs in it you may have the opposite problem and have to cool it down. 
Everyone loves a worker.... until its laying.

Offline JojoBeeBoy

• House Bee
    • @joebeewhisperer on Instagram
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2020, 10:46:39 pm »
I've watched Ian Steppler in Canada (on youtube) putting hundreds of hives in a building where he keeps it at a certain temp and gets consistent results. If my wife would go for it I would build a room on the house and do exactly what you are talking about.  :grin:

I'd like to know how it turns out.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2020, 12:32:25 am »
I've watched Ian Steppler in Canada (on youtube) putting hundreds of hives in a building where he keeps it at a certain temp and gets consistent results. If my wife would go for it I would build a room on the house and do exactly what you are talking about.  :grin:

I'd like to know how it turns out.

I have watched those videos also. Ian does do some amazing things there in canada. TheHoneyPump does something similar if I remember correctly. Last season he posted some pictures here.
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Brian MCquilkin

• House Bee
    • Ideal Honey Bees
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2020, 08:23:42 pm »
Thanks everyone for the reply's.  Beesnweeds Ill take your suggestion and run 6 out side and 6 in side .  I moved 3 from about 40 feet to in side the shed, thought they might return to the original site but the did not. The orientated back to the shed. I think the pipe entrance was enough for them to realize they had moved.
Just having 3 nucs has caused a temp increase in the shed, so having 60 in the shed would not be an option. Will be moving 3 from an out yard tomorrow to the shed that will make the 6.

Offline Brian MCquilkin

• House Bee
    • Ideal Honey Bees
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2020, 08:25:44 pm »
For got the pick of the out side.

Offline JojoBeeBoy

• House Bee
    • @joebeewhisperer on Instagram
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2020, 11:50:15 pm »
Nice. I never even considered the amount of heat added by the bees until reading this thread.

Offline Brian MCquilkin

• House Bee
    • Ideal Honey Bees
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2020, 12:43:24 pm »
JojoBeeBoy I never thought about the heat from the bees. But when you consider the normal temperature of the brood nest of 92-98 , with more bees and boxes at some point air circulation and temp control would be essential. Last night I drilled veneration holes in all the upper boxes on the nucs  to help with air flow.

Offline TheHoneyPump

• Queen Bee
  • Work Hard. Play Harder.
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2020, 08:48:34 pm »
For got the pick of the out side.

Nicely Done.  Perfect.
When the lid goes back on, the bees will spend the next 3 days undoing most of what the beekeeper just did to them.