Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Advantech nucs  (Read 6346 times)

Offline jtcmedic

• Field Bee
    • Sweetest sting honey
Re: Advantech nucs
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2020, 11:40:38 pm »
Looking forward to see how they work

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2020, 01:11:55 am »
Looking forward to see how they work

Same here. Jtc, I approached this a little different that what we discussed in the past posts. What I did is after I made the cuts, I coated all cut edges with Titebond. Just simply laid a bead of glue down the fresh cut edges and spread it evenly over this cut. I noticed that looking closely, this is what the factory did, (coated their edges with what I assume is glue, be it gorilla glue). Now when I paint them I have the assurance that these tops and bottoms will be completely sealed BEFORE paint. (Again, looking closely, I can what I think is a coat of glue on the entire surface). What do you think of this?
Am I wasting time? I am thinking what's to lose but a little glue? I buy Titebond by the gallon anyway. lol adding to my despenser when needed. But a little glue goes a long way.

Phillip Hall
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline jtcmedic

• Field Bee
    • Sweetest sting honey
« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2020, 10:56:24 pm »

I dont think glueing the ends is a waist. I did it also. And I added these on bottom so they had a nice tight fit when stacked in 5 over 5

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2020, 06:42:22 am »
What I am about to say is a theory, I am thinking this stuff, LP Legacy, might be better than Advantech. The reason I am saying this is when I finished painting these tops and bottoms with three coats of semi-gloss paint, I can actually see the press marks that the press made when this product was formed. That means the force of pounds of pressure per square inch must have been tremendous! With this type of product, that is just what is needed. We will see by the test of time! In the mean, it is nice to have tops and bottoms that do not warp!

Phillip Hall
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Absinthe

• New Bee
« Reply #24 on: June 05, 2020, 08:52:11 am »
When hearing about the AdvanTech product I contacted the MFG with a quick email. I asked about gluing, painting, and raw edge treatment. This was their official response:

Thank you for your inquiry. When using a binding adhesive we recommend using a polyurethane or solvent-based adhesive. Ensure all adhesive manufacturer preparation and curing requirements are followed. When applying a coating to the panels use an oil-based paint, primer or stain. Stay way from latex or water-based coatings.

All traditional joinery that can be done with plywood can be done with the  AdvanTech product line. There are no requirements for sealing cut edges of the panels.

I hope that helps. In my area I can only get the thick T&G sub-flooring stuff. I would be much more apt to give it a try if I could get it in something closer to 1/2 or 5/8 but I think there is only this 22/32" maybe? 

Do you try to incorporate the T&G when using it? Or simply cut it off as waste? I thought ti might be interesting if it could somehow still be incorporated so that if you stacked boxes they might integrate a little to make the less tippy :)

I was inspired, however, when I saw this:
http://georgiabees.blogspot.com/2015/06/advantech-hive-bodies-honey-supers-8.html

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #25 on: June 05, 2020, 01:21:36 pm »
When hearing about the AdvanTech product I contacted the MFG with a quick email. I asked about gluing, painting, and raw edge treatment. This was their official response:

Thank you for your inquiry. When using a binding adhesive we recommend using a polyurethane or solvent-based adhesive. Ensure all adhesive manufacturer preparation and curing requirements are followed. When applying a coating to the panels use an oil-based paint, primer or stain. Stay way from latex or water-based coatings.

All traditional joinery that can be done with plywood can be done with the  AdvanTech product line. There are no requirements for sealing cut edges of the panels.

I hope that helps. In my area I can only get the thick T&G sub-flooring stuff. I would be much more apt to give it a try if I could get it in something closer to 1/2 or 5/8 but I think there is only this 22/32" maybe? 

Do you try to incorporate the T&G when using it? Or simply cut it off as waste? I thought ti might be interesting if it could somehow still be incorporated so that if you stacked boxes they might integrate a little to make the less tippy :)

I was inspired, however, when I saw this:
http://georgiabees.blogspot.com/2015/06/advantech-hive-bodies-honey-supers-8.html

Just curious, AdvanTech and Legacy are designed for indoor use, (Sub Flooring). Did you inform them that you would be using their product outdoors and for beekeeping purposes? I only use these products for tops and bottoms. Weight consideration for one. I use regular boards for hive bodies for my 5 frame nucs, just as when building 10 frame deeps. The occasional need to add a top box on a 5 framer converting it into a double 5 makes easy conversion. My 2 frame deep mating nucs are built with separate tops and bottoms also. Tops and bottoms are portable and interchangeable with easy cleaning if needed. Works good for me.

Phillip

« Last Edit: June 05, 2020, 01:56:41 pm by Ben Framed »

Offline Absinthe

• New Bee
« Reply #26 on: June 05, 2020, 02:55:29 pm »
I specifically told them "I am intending to go off label. I will be using this to make stuff that will be outdoors all the time. It may have partial ground contact. I am not sure if I told them that bees were involved, but I was adamant that the full brunt of all the weather would be.

Have you seen the commercial for the other product? The one they sell at HD? They carried it out to a water fall, and pretty much sunk it for hours. Here is their ad. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRLCZ9IBUVo That is not advantech it is the other one. But they are the competitor.

Much more impressive than the Advantech advertisement https://youtu.be/X5ECyGsL4Ls

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #27 on: June 05, 2020, 04:42:07 pm »
> Have you seen the commercial for the other product? The one they sell at HD? They carried it out to a water fall, and
   pretty much sunk it for hours. Here is their ad.

Yes, I posted that very same video, on this very same topic, in reply 13. However, the edges were still sealed from the factory. (Before Cutting, and before exposure). I noticed when cut, the edges do not appear to be sealed. Perhaps the oil base paint will take care of any concerns. One thing is for sure a thin coat of a good exterior glue will insure a good seal, even before painting on the exposed cut edges.

You may want to go back and read this entire thread if you have yet to do so. There are some good positive and interesting thoughts found here within this topic. I appreciate you contacting the factory and sharing your answer. It is also good to be totally clear with the (questions) presented to the factory, as well as the answers to those questions from the factory. Thank you so much for your enthusiasm. Glad to have you here.   

Offline Absinthe

• New Bee
« Reply #28 on: June 05, 2020, 11:22:42 pm »
Getting used to the interface here, went back and caught up. I guess I got to the thread part way in. My bad!

It is an intriguing product. I don't see where I can get it in 19/32 only 23/32. Seems like it would make for a really heavy hive. I will have to get a piece and perhaps make some nucs or something. I just did some swarm traps from CDX so I think i could figure out nucs. Although seems most plans for nucs assume you want the floor attached and aren't planning on stacking. Although I think I can just make some with floors and some that are plain old 9 5/8" so they can stack. Or maybe make them all stackable but have some way to attach a floor with bottom board capabilities... Oh the possibilities. :)

There was a time when I had access to marine ply and MDO scraps. I miss those days :)