Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Aircrete  (Read 2276 times)

Offline yes2matt

• Field Bee
  • Urban setting, no acaricides
    • Love Me Some Honey
Aircrete
« on: June 23, 2022, 09:48:23 pm »
I need some nuc boxes, and I usually would make some from the D Coates pattern. But times have changed a little:
> I discovered how much bees like to have a more insulated cavity, it makes a big difference.
> have you SEEN (of course you have) the price of plywood, or any wood?

So I am thinking of casting some nuc boxes with  ... something. Aircrete? Aircrete with perlite?  I don't know.

Have you any experience casting lightweight "concrete" panels or boxes? Is this a totally stupid idea?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Offline Bob Wilson

• Queen Bee
Re: Aircrete
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2022, 11:53:14 pm »
I have made flower pots before with concrete and perlite (or peat moss). It was lighter weight, but unless its very thick, it eventually breaks in half.
That's just my experience.

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2022, 08:31:24 am »
Not a stupid idea but you have to paint or stucco the inside because it is porous.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline yes2matt

• Field Bee
    • Love Me Some Honey
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2022, 07:18:16 am »
Not a stupid idea but you have to paint or stucco the inside because it is porous.
  Won't the bees "paint" it with propolis? I would just do the plywood nuc pattern with foam board but they eat/haul it out.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2022, 07:38:31 am »
It is my opinion that Ace 'might have' answered the million dollar question with a little added thought. Instead of Aircrete; If a person were to make a simple mold using cheap 'Styrofoam' as a base material injected for the desired box interior, he could mold his own lightweight boxes and then coat with hardy stucco making a cheap, lightweight, hardy box for pennies..... (Sort of like the cheap one day use, lightweight one dollar coolers which could be had at dollar stores and bait shops a few years ago before they went out of style)..... The added stucco coating would or should do the trick to bring it up to par?

Phillip

« Last Edit: June 27, 2022, 07:53:37 am by Ben Framed »
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2022, 07:50:37 am »
And if the above theory is proven to be true, this would also make a good, cheap Nuc box as well. Especially for those who sell nucs?

Phillip
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2022, 08:27:08 am »

Won't the bees "paint" it with propolis?
[/quote]
If they accept the box.  I just feel it would be better for you to spend a few minutes sealing the pores rather then the bees spending days and wasting energy and time.  They have to forage for propolise.  Better to have them foraging for honey.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2022, 05:56:04 am »
I think you might be on to something good Mat! Any updates?

Phillip

Offline paus

• Field Bee
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2022, 02:09:03 pm »
Hypertufa, if the spelling is correct, is the name of the type of flowerpot made with moss and concrete. This could be used for hives but would be very bulky and not portable.

Offline yes2matt

• Field Bee
    • Love Me Some Honey
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2022, 07:17:31 pm »
I think you might be on to something good Mat! Any updates?

Phillip

UPDATE: I can't keep up.

I think I'm going to make it like this guy. He whips shampoo+water into a foam and mixes with portland cement and a fiber (he uses glass).  I was dreaming of making whole nuc-box (minus the lid) forms, but I think I've decided to make flat panels the first round. I'll make a big panel with the rabbetted ends, enough I can slice (cheap angle grinder blade) 4-8 ends, and another big panel sized to slice 4-8 sides. That way I don't have to have a whole bunch of forms, which are more labor and material intensive than even the nuc box, or mix up a new micro-batch of concrete for each one I need.  I gotta lean toward cheap-n-easy, especially since I don't even know if this is going to work.

https://manabouttools.com/best-aircrete-recipe/

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2022, 08:44:36 am »
Matt what about having some molded in styrofoam then cover with stucco? (Ace mentioned stucco earlier with your original idea). Wouldn't this produce a box featuring hardiness, longevity, durability, and lightweight, while investing 'little' money in each box?

Phillip

Offline yes2matt

• Field Bee
    • Love Me Some Honey
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2022, 09:51:33 am »
Matt what about having some molded in styrofoam then cover with stucco? (Ace mentioned stucco earlier with your original idea). Wouldn't this produce a box featuring hardiness, longevity, durability, and lightweight, while investing 'little' money in each box?

Phillip

I still haven't gotten to this.  I wonder: why do the bees chew/haul out the insulation board I use for outer cover, or once I tried making nucs with the half-inch aluminum lined stuff and they completely tore it apart from the inside. 

But they don't tear up the compressed polystyrene.  Although they did make their entrance bigger on one box. they line it with propolise, build cross-comb and beetle traps on it.  The insulation board they tear apart.

Offline Bill Murray

• House Bee
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2022, 08:49:01 pm »
maybe smell??

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2022, 07:55:22 am »
Good question Matt. The stucco coating as suggested by Brian, "Acebird", should stop chewing?

Phillip