BEEKEEPING LEARNING CENTER > GENERAL BEEKEEPING - MAIN POSTING FORUM.

Bee Vac discussions

(1/13) > >>

Acebird:

--- Quote ---For those interested in the Colorado Bee Vac that Ben described, here is the website:

https://www.coloradobeerescue.com

Here is the Bushkill:

https://www.beevac.com

--- End quote ---
The above quote comes from 2sox's post on another topic.
I have looked at the two systems and I have comments.  The Colorado system has a valve on the vacuum head and I didn't see any adjustable "regulator" on the Bushkill model.  Did I miss it?  I am not thrilled about where the valve is located on the Colorado brand.  In my view it should be located on the catch box.  The reason being if the hose should ever get plugged at least you will have some air getting to the majority of the bees so they don't overheat or suffocate.  Both systems have a screen between the vacuum head and the bees so in my view the peg board doesn't have any value.
Looking at the Bushkill video in action it appears to me that the air flow is greatly reduced at the nozzle.  And the nozzle is connected to a 2 1/2 in hose which means the air flow will be even less in the hose and almost nothing in the catch box.
edited to give credit where credit is do.

Ben Framed:
Actually I was not describing the Colorado vac but my home build Colorado (type) vac.

Post by 2Sox.

--- Quote ---Ben,
EXCELLENT post.  Extremely clear. Thank you. And I had not known the reason for the holes and the peg board before you described it here. Very logical and scientific. Thank you for that.  For those interested in the Colorado Bee Vac that Ben described, here is the website:

https://www.coloradobeerescue.com

Here is the Bushkill:

https://www.beevac.com

--- End quote ---

Ben Framed:
I am not familiar enough with the brushkill (RoBo) to answer. I can say I have only heard good things about it as watching videos where folks are using it, and using it regularly. The video of that great vac, which I posted describes the vac in detail. The fellow which posted the video had no dog in the hunt with RoBo to my knowledge. His subscribers were so impressed with this vac, that MANY kept asking him questions about this vac, so he made the good video explaining the RoBo vac out of kindness. I am sure it has a pressure relief. I can?t remember if it is on the catch box or not.

Rather than going back and re-explaining the purpose of the peg board on my home built vac, the Colorado type vac, I will simply refer the topic and post where; to the best to my ability,  already explained.

TOPIC: Trap out gone sour: Suggestions?
REPLY 50

I hope that helps.....

Ben Framed:
Let me add anyone thinking of building or buying either style vac. The time it takes to gather the materials, put everything together etc is just not cost effective when you can simply order one ready to go... In my opinion, speaking from experience......

Robo:

--- Quote from: Acebird on June 08, 2021, 01:09:23 pm ---The above quote comes from Phil's post on another topic.
I have looked at the two systems and I have comments.  The Colorado system has a valve on the vacuum head and I didn't see any adjustable "regulator" on the Bushkill model.  Did I miss it?  I am not thrilled about where the valve is located on the Colorado brand.  In my view it should be located on the catch box.  The reason being if the hose should ever get plugged at least you will have some air getting to the majority of the bees so they don't overheat or suffocate.  Both systems have a screen between the vacuum head and the bees so in my view the peg board doesn't have any value.
Looking at the Bushkill video in action it appears to me that the air flow is greatly reduced at the nozzle.  And the nozzle is connected to a 2 1/2 in hose which means the air flow will be even less in the hose and almost nothing in the catch box.

--- End quote ---

I'll answer this here as I think this thread is an attempt to move the bee vac discussion from the other thread.

The Bushkill bee vac has the bypass on the top cover for adjusting suction at the hose end.   By doing it this way you are not adding extra load on the vac motor by restricting the air through it.   You can easily hear the strain on a vac motor when you start restricting the air through it.   This also still provides some airflow to remove hot air if the hose does get clogged.

As far as 2 1/2 inch hose,  people have missed the boat big time on hose choice.   Most are more concerned with smooth bore and just assume the inside of 2 1/2 vac hose looks the same as the outside,  when in reality it is quite smooth as well.   True smooth bore hose is very stiff and inflexible and difficult to work with when doing a removal.   Also, the bigger diameter the hose the less contact the bees have with it.    Not necessarily a great analogy but it gets the point across.      Think about running as fast as you can down a 2ft wide windy hallway  vs a 4ft wide hallway,  which one are you going to hit the wall more??

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version