Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Flow Frame Extraction outside the Hive  (Read 2905 times)

Offline Wombat2

• House Bee
Flow Frame Extraction outside the Hive
« on: May 11, 2021, 12:44:43 am »
new home owner called and asked me to inspect and if possible extract some honey from a hive left on his acreage property. On approach it looked like a normal Langstroth 2 box hive (minus any lifting points). The lid was totally full of honey filled burr comb. The top box had 5 flow frames jammed in with two feeder(?) frames - standard wood frames with a plastic cup inserted into the top bar which resulted in coming apart while trying to remove. All the frames were fully capped and very well crossed braced and fastened to the excluder below- thank goodness for the leaking honey keeping all the girls quiet.

Brood box had other problems. (3/4 deep frames in a full deep box)

My question is - if I can get hold of a Flow Frame key can I crack the frames and drain the honey out side of a Flow Frame Hive box?
David L

Offline cao

• Super Bee
Re: Flow Frame Extraction outside the Hive
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2021, 12:54:27 am »
>My question is - if I can get hold of a Flow Frame key can I crack the frames and drain the honey out side of a Flow Frame Hive box?

I don't see why you wouldn't be able to.  Just need to keep them upright.

Offline Beelab

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2021, 04:27:25 am »
The surrounding frames keep the flow frames stable. You may get excessive leaking if you drain the flow frames without side supports.
I understand the flow frames are not in a flow super?
Then you must extract outside the Lang box. Just secure the flow frames together as well as you can and go for it.

I also wonder if these are genuine flow frames or Chinese copies.
If they are genuine, they are worth keeping.

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2021, 08:26:28 am »
I don't own a flow frame but I suspect one that was left unattended would not open without breaking parts.  If it were me I would uncap with a hive tool and drain the honey.  Then disassemble the frame and clean.  Reassemble to use again as was intended.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline Pazuzu

• New Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2021, 09:14:27 am »
I had a FH but I don't use it anymore. There's a guy I with a FH and I occasionally help him.

They are meant to be tight in the FH super for honey to be harvested, otherwise it will be a massive mess. Mind you mine leaked even when harvesting according to instructions.

Best is to place in a standard extractor if they fit.

Not a fan of flowhives myself, and mine is just gathering dust in the shed.

Offline Wombat2

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2021, 09:18:41 am »
Thanks Beelab - like the idea of if I bind them together some way to make them stable it should work. Haven't checked if genuine or not but have been looking for a Flow Hive at "the right price" to  experiment with. Reports are indicating what probably happens in Langstroth hives but not as recognised till Flow came along and that is bees will fill a frame from one nectar source at a time. Each frame can have noticeably different honey in each.
David L

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2021, 08:57:33 am »
I don't own a flow frame but I suspect one that was left unattended would not open without breaking parts.  If it were me I would uncap with a hive tool and drain the honey.  Then disassemble the frame and clean.  Reassemble to use again as was intended.
Easier said than done. One of my Flow Frames came apart while I was trying to clean it and they are not easy to put back together. They are a real pain, took several tries to get it right.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2021, 11:04:00 am »
More than happy to take it off your hands Jim.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it