BEEKEEPING LEARNING CENTER > GENERAL BEEKEEPING - MAIN POSTING FORUM.

Dissecting a Swarm

<< < (2/7) > >>

rast:
I have reached the age that they have to come to me, close by and no higher than six feet. Preferably go into one of my swarm traps that are hung at a six ft. height. The best was the one that came into my baited trap that was still on a stand in my back yard. 

BeeMaster2:
I just picked up 2 swarm traps that I put out at a nearby steal mill. I put a single 8 frame medium hive next to A swarm that was one foot off the ground and a 2-8 frame medium hive 20 fees away as a trap. Both hives are full of bees and bringing in pollen. I have pulled 5 swarms from this location. And I left another trap to catch more.
Jim Altmiller

Ben Framed:

--- Quote from: sawdstmakr on May 11, 2021, 09:41:36 pm ---I just picked up 2 swarm traps that I put out at a nearby steal mill. I put a single 8 frame medium hive next to A swarm that was one foot off the ground and a 2-8 frame medium hive 20 fees away as a trap. Both hives are full of bees and bringing in pollen. I have pulled 5 swarms from this location. And I left another trap to catch more.
Jim Altmiller

--- End quote ---

Congratulations Jim, you have found a swarm honey hole!

BeeMaster2:
There is a commercial beekeeper very close to this mill. Funny thing is that this is the first time that they are having problems with swarms. In the past 5 years they may have had 2 swarms. This year they are up to 5 already.
Jim Altmiller

OGsBees:
Thanks for the info,  I was not sure what I was seeing. Caught a swarm 3 weeks and just went into the box the past weekend  and found 4 queens. I am still pretty new at this and thought just fat drones. Gonna go order some queen cages cause I got 2 more to go through.  Thanks again, always learning something new here.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version