ALMOST BEEKEEPING - RELATED TOPICS > FARMING & COUNTRY LIFE

Any wild hogs in your area?

(1/8) > >>

Ben Framed:
Any wild hogs in your area?

CoolBees:
Lots of wild hogs, in some areas, out here on the left coast. None right where I live. 3 miles away maybe.

Wild boar is excellent eating. I made meatballs yesterday. 2/3 elk & 1/3 wild boar. Italian seasoning: sage, fennel, white pepper, oinion, garlic, black pepper, and a touch of cayenne pepper, (I mix my own). Mmmm-mmm good!

Also: place a rack of 3 boar ribs & and a large chunk of elk into the slow cooker in the morning. Add spices. Come home in the evening and add veggies. Dinner is ready at 7 pm. Don't forget a good glass of wine. Mmmmmmm!

I'm getting hungry!  :cool:

Ben Framed:

--- Quote from: CoolBees on April 29, 2021, 01:44:00 pm ---Lots of wild hogs, in some areas, out here on the left coast. None right where I live. 3 miles away maybe.

Wild boar is excellent eating. I made meatballs yesterday. 2/3 elk & 1/3 wild boar. Italian seasoning: sage, fennel, white pepper, oinion, garlic, black pepper, and a touch of cayenne pepper, (I mix my own). Mmmm-mmm good!

Also: place a rack of 3 boar ribs & and a large chunk of elk into the slow cooker in the morning. Add spices. Come home in the evening and add veggies. Dinner is ready at 7 pm. Don't forget a good glass of wine. Mmmmmmm!

I'm getting hungry!  :cool:

--- End quote ---

Your post is what I call and excellent complement to this sections heading! "FARMING & COUNTRY LIFE"
That sounds delicious Alan! Thanks for sharing the thoughts and ingredients. I do not have access to elk but perhaps something else could be substituted? 

The15thMember:
We have feral hogs here.  They don't tend to hang around where people are, so I have never seen one, but they are a serious problem in the national park.  They root up and destroy the ground really bad, and I've heard they can be quite dangerous if startled. 

CoolBees:
Ben - any other red meat can be substituted: deer, goat (including Speed Goats [antelope]), mutton, house cat, etc ... even the lowly cow (yuck!!) ... I forgot rabbits, definitely rabbits.  :cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy:

15th - wild boar are extremely dangerous. They will read the person & are very intelligent. If they think they can get away with it, they'll take a person down very quickly. And you don't get up. ... there was a country bar, right near my favorite boar hunting area, that we used to go to back in my military days. The walls of the bar were papered with photographs of humans who had been attacked by pigs in the local area. 1000's of pictures, dating back to the '60's. Most pics were leg wounds. Some just showed human remains ... today the bar is gone. It's a polite country store now. Wish the bar was still there. It was a sobering reminder of what we'd be facing the next day.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version