Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Laws against killing honeybees?  (Read 32432 times)

Offline superbee

• New Bee
    • Super Bee Rescue and Removal
Re: Laws against killing honeybees?
« Reply #20 on: December 26, 2015, 08:06:21 pm »
I know this has not been posted in a while but I have been doing a lot of research on this topic and I found one reason that may effect why people are being told that it is illegal to kill bees.

Most insecticides state on the product the below label.
(It is a violation of federal law to use this product in a manner inconsistent with its labeling.)

I know that wasp spray and many other insecticides do not include bees in the targeted species.  Therefore using it is a off label use that is not approved.

Offline Dallasbeek

• Super Bee
« Reply #21 on: December 27, 2015, 02:47:58 pm »
Good theory, but those insecticide labels seem to be like the labels on matresses -- nobody's ever been prosecuted for removing a matress label, and probably nobody has for using an insecticide off label. 

Good idea to bump this topic, though.
"Liberty lives in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no laws, no court can save it." - Judge Learned Hand, 1944

Offline superbee

• New Bee
    • Super Bee Rescue and Removal
« Reply #22 on: December 27, 2015, 11:51:44 pm »
I live in one of the most litigious places on earth - Southern California.  My thought is that if a pest control applicator or homeowner uses the insecticide in a off label manor and someone gets stung they would be financially liable.  I can see the homeowners insurance trying to get out of paying.  Also pest applicators can loose their license. 
I have been called to a beehive that had been sprayed by the homeowner with wasp spray and they were the angriest bees I had ever met.  I can easily see someone getting stung.