Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Jars - plastic/glass  (Read 1834 times)

Offline max2

• Queen Bee
Jars - plastic/glass
« on: April 02, 2024, 03:55:08 pm »
We have been using Glass for our jars since we started selling honey -  actually 48 years ago .
We only bottle honey in plastic for Overseas sales - the weight is the issue. Glass is also fragile and you don't want the container to break.
We have always taken the jars back, we pay a dollar per jar, and clean and sterilise the jar  and reuse them again and again.
There is an issue with CO2 ( think Climate change) with all packaging.
Reusing glass seems to be the best solution.

Have a read here: https://www.bbc.com/news/business-68429393

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Re: Jars - plastic/glass
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2024, 05:56:01 am »
Reusing glass has always made the most sense.  Recycling does not have a very good track records, but reusing glass has been done for centuries and saves a lot of energy over recycling glass.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Online Terri Yaki

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2024, 08:33:29 am »
Reusing glass has always made the most sense.  Recycling does not have a very good track records, but reusing glass has been done for centuries and saves a lot of energy over recycling glass.
Can't argue with any of that but for some reason, the lefties aren't onto that. And you guys are old enough that you remember when glass was used??    :cool:

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2024, 08:42:49 am »
I remember when Coca-Cola bottles were reused//recycled as well as other major (refreshment) drink companies . The bottles actually had a date stamped on them and I remember noticing some had been in use for years. For what ever reason, Coca-Cola stopped recycling.
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Online Terri Yaki

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2024, 08:46:04 am »
I remember when Coca-Cola bottles were reused//recycled as well as other major (refreshment) drink companies . They actually had a date stamped on them and I remember noticing some had been in use for years. For what ever reason, Coca-Cola stopped recycling.
I remember my grandfather talking about collecting bottles with his Radio Flyer and saving up to buy toys and candy.  :cheesy:

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2024, 08:51:43 am »
I remember when Coca-Cola bottles were reused//recycled as well as other major (refreshment) drink companies . The bottles actually had a date stamped on them and I remember noticing some had been in use for years. For what ever reason, Coca-Cola stopped recycling.

There was a lot involved in recycling, I suppose it is more cost effective to simply produce new drink containers than recycle glass.
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Online Terri Yaki

• Super Bee
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2024, 09:10:35 am »

There was a lot involved in recycling, I suppose it is more cost effective to simply produce new drink containers than recycle glass.

No doubt. First it was cheaper to just throw away the glass then it was cheaper to make them out of plastic. As an added benefit, the plastic weighs a lot less. I wonder how the 'carbon footprint' compares.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2024, 09:21:14 am »
There was a 2 cent deposit on them when I was young.  It went up to 3 cents by the time I was in High School.  We road all over town on our bicycles looking for bottles in the ditch.  There weren't a lot, but we could always find a few.  We would cash them in and get penny candy.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
-------------------

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2024, 09:31:56 am »
Same here Mr Bush except they reached a nickel deposit in my time. One summer when I was 15, I had had enough of the hayfield from the previous summer lol and obtained an easy job at a grocery store. :-)

The volume of returned Coke bottles were staggering. We had a huge area set aside for the sole purpose of empty drink bottles; Recycling was a cooperative effort, both public and private, but it did work for many years until those drink companies (corporations)  threw in the towel.

Phillip

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2024, 09:41:45 am »
Mr Bush I also remember at the old country stores in my area, we had a choice. We could drink the refreshment in the store, while listening to the old men gab, or we could pay the added deposit and take it with us. Now for some reason if you were to buy a coke from a machine in Memphis or a larger town, the price was the same but the bottle was yours without the added deposit. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Online animal

• Queen Bee
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2024, 10:26:58 am »
There was a 2 cent deposit on them when I was young.  It went up to 3 cents by the time I was in High School.  We road all over town on our bicycles looking for bottles in the ditch.  There weren't a lot, but we could always find a few.  We would cash them in and get penny candy.
I had it good .. Coke bottles were 5 cents, 3 cents for Nehi,RC and such ... and crappy people threw 'em out the window just like crappy people do today. and ... comic books were only 10 cents for the regular ones, 25 cents for the thick square back ones
Interstate 10 was just one chain link fence away from my backyard ... lots of bottles ... harvest was every 2 weeks or so, and hated to see the mowers come through .. such waste and busted glass to avoid in bare feet :cheesy:
(also learned pretty quick to hide my face from traffic to avoid butt beatings for being out on the highway.. neighbors would always rat you out to your parents if they saw you do something.. sometimes they would swat a you a few times AND rat you out so you got it twice)
Avatar pic by my oldest daughter (ink and watercolor)

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2024, 10:31:42 am »
> such waste and busted glass to avoid in bare feet :cheesy:

True of both counts. Those returnable bottles were thick!

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2024, 10:33:21 am »
>neighbors would always rat you out to your parents if they saw you do something..

Sometimes it just looked suspicious and you'd be in trouble...
-------------------

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2024, 09:59:31 pm »
Per your request  Bil.

Phillip

Bill Murray
Jars - plastic/glass
 on: Today at 09:46:09 pm

Well for some reason couldnt answer to this post so started this. ADMIN please combine.

I started a BYOB that has worked out way to well. Sell the bottle you bring it back, I refill. No longer my bottle, yours. No sterilizing, labels, etc.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2024, 10:04:17 pm »
Bill Murray
I started a BYOB that has worked out way to well. Sell the bottle you bring it back, I refill. No longer my bottle, yours. No sterilizing, labels, etc.

Good idea Bill...

Phillip

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2024, 10:41:36 am »
Oregon has a deposit fee on bottle, cans, and even paint.  You'd think that at 10 cents an item people would return, but they don't.  Kids don't collect much anymore, but adults are often out there picking up cans to return.  I guess a dime is meaningless to kids these days, but it bought the good candy when I was a kid.

I sold eggs, but never the honey.  I just gave it away to friends and family.  The kids like the honey bears so plastic it is for them.  Jars for everyone else. 
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
    • Franklin County Beekeepers Association
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2024, 11:24:20 am »
   Every once in a while.. You can find  sue honey.. From the USA.. at the local grocery store where I live.. It is in glass bottles.  .   Believe it or not it's about the same price as the USA. Yes, I am located in the Philippine Islands. All the local honey I have seen come in glass.. Except for gallon jugs. A gallon jug is approximately $17.00 US. You can't get it down to $15.00 US.. If you want to buy four at a time.

BEE HAPPY  Jim134   :smile:

"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2024, 12:16:09 am »
Wow Jim, the price is right! Is other things at the grocery stores there, as reasonable as honey?