Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Honey price  (Read 1967 times)

Offline EastCentralMNbees

• New Bee
Honey price
« on: September 01, 2018, 03:16:28 pm »
I was just wondering what people are charging for honey? I know the price will vary depending on the region. I'm just curious.  Thank for your time

Van, Arkansas, USA

Re: Honey price
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2018, 05:57:43 pm »
Hi MnBee, I can tell you what I pay for honey: $1.00 to $2.00 an ounce for the fancy type honeys, Tupelo, Acacia, even sourwood Honey that is light colored.  I have paid 0.34 an ounce for local honey.  I tried manukau honey one time, a high certificate and paid like $5.00 an ounce for awful Honey that tasted like common honey with a menthol cough crop.  Pure uck, I was just courious about this medical Honey.

I can?t sell my honey due to my insurance.  I am a hobbyist beekeeper and covered by home owners insurance in case someone gets stung and seeks litigation.  As long as I don?t sell anything, honey, queens or whatever, I am covered, I am a hobbyist.  If I sell one jar of honey, or anything bee related then I am a business, not a hobbyist and my insurance does not cover me as a business.

I have standard home owners insurance with a 2.2 million umbrella. 

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2018, 08:36:16 pm »
I sell bears for $7, pints for $11 and quarts for $20.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Dallasbeek

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2018, 09:46:47 pm »
A quart is 3 pounds.  That sounds way low to me, but you probably know your market.  The last time I sold any honey, I asked $10 a pound, $7 a half pound and had people wanting more when I ran out. I have strangers coming to my door asking if I have any honey to sell, because a friend a block away quit keeping bees and they know local honey is better than the stuff they can get in the store.
"Liberty lives in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no laws, no court can save it." - Judge Learned Hand, 1944

Offline TheHoneyPump

• Queen Bee
  • Work Hard. Play Harder.
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2018, 02:21:17 am »
My honey is clovers.  My price is by weight, not volume, and varies by the size of the container and the cost of said container.  The per kg or per pound honey price is much higher on small containers than on large pails or bulk drums.

If a buyer brings a container previously supplied by me, a repeat customer, I provide refills for 7$ CAD per Kg in any size.  Same price for any size jar / container / pail.  I will refuse to refill someone else's containers.

If I am supplying new container with the honey. The price is 14$CAD per kg for small jars and containers up to 2 kg, OR 9$CAD per Kg for pails 3kg and over.  This accounts for the cost of the containers and the handling of many small containers versus bulk pails.  Drums are 5$CAD per Kg (280Kg to a drum)

www.xe.com  <-- for currency conversion
« Last Edit: September 02, 2018, 02:36:41 am by TheHoneyPump »
When the lid goes back on, the bees will spend the next 3 days undoing most of what the beekeeper just did to them.

Offline Barhopper

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2018, 11:10:29 am »
$8 for#1
$15 for #2
A little low I believe but I?m happy with that. Doesn?t sit around for long.

Offline EastCentralMNbees

• New Bee
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2018, 04:52:25 pm »
Being this is my first year I'm still amazed that I got the little bit of honey that I did. Then I see she people say that see honey by the drum and it blows my mind. How many hives do you have to have to fill drums? Thanks for the information. Everyone has been very helpful.

Offline TheHoneyPump

• Queen Bee
  • Work Hard. Play Harder.
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2018, 05:30:57 pm »
A good beekeeper gauging the colonies health and strength, who supports them with the right manipulations at the right time to reach their population peak aligned with the timing of the flow, in the right climate, and hives set in the right place ... Adds to around here 4 hives can easily fill a standard 45 gallon drum year after year.  (280kg / 620 lbs).  This is a truism for the apiaries around here.  4 make a drum, 40 make 100 drums, 4000 make 1000 drums.  Some years quite a bit more, rarely less.

It is all about knowing the population strength, promoting only brilliance in the bees, knowing the potential of your queens and how to support her to reach it, knowing the status and timing of the brood and chambers, and knowing the timing of the flow.

The consensus is that a first year hive will not give honey.  I disagree.  A colony in the first year can build their nest, draw out frames, and still make a fair amount of excess honey.  It depends on how early in the year it is started and how well you monitor and you support their growth.  I have some that I started end of May as 2 frames mating nucs that I left to grow.  I just pulled end of season boxes off of them (3rd box, deep super), approx 40lbs each.  They filled out the double deeps, put some more upstairs in the 3rd deep, and since I took that away are now staging for winter.

With a late start and on all new foundation, meaning brand new box and frames, and not supported - yeah it will take everything they have just to fill out their nest.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2018, 05:55:28 pm by TheHoneyPump »
When the lid goes back on, the bees will spend the next 3 days undoing most of what the beekeeper just did to them.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2018, 05:41:00 pm »
One beek in the Tampa Bay Area, documented making 400 pounds of honey per hive and he had  4 hives. That's 1600 pounds of honey in one year with 4 hives.  That?s 2 1/2 Barrels of honey. 
Good luck.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Troutdog

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2018, 07:52:55 pm »
A good beekeeper gauging the colonies health and strength, who supports them with the right manipulations at the right time to reach their population peak aligned with the timing of the flow, in the right climate, and hives set in the right place ... Adds to around here 4 hives can easily fill a standard 45 gallon drum year after year.  (280kg / 620 lbs).  This is a truism for the apiaries around here.  4 make a drum, 40 make 100 drums, 4000 make 1000 drums.  Some years quite a bit more, rarely less.

It is all about knowing the population strength, promoting only brilliance in the bees, knowing the potential of your queens and how to support her to reach it, knowing the status and timing of the brood and chambers, and knowing the timing of the flow.

The consensus is that a first year hive will not give honey.  I disagree.  A colony in the first year can build their nest, draw out frames, and still make a fair amount of excess honey.  It depends on how early in the year it is started and how well you monitor and you support their growth.  I have some that I started end of May as 2 frames mating nucs that I left to grow.  I just pulled end of season boxes off of them (3rd box, deep super), approx 40lbs each.  They filled out the double deeps, put some more upstairs in the 3rd deep, and since I took that away are now staging for winter.

With a late start and on all new foundation, meaning brand new box and frames, and not supported - yeah it will take everything they have just to fill out their nest.
Spectacular forage areas
As well

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Offline cao

• Super Bee
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2018, 09:34:56 pm »
I sell honey for $7 per pound squeeze bottle, $10 for pint jar, $18 per quart jar.  Had no complaints about the price. 

One of my hives, a couple years ago, I pulled at least ten gallons of honey and left more than enough for winter.  They had almost a full super left the next spring.  Most of my hives don't produce that much since I'm still expanding my apairy.