Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: feeding sugar syrup questions  (Read 1740 times)

Offline chickenwing654

• House Bee
feeding sugar syrup questions
« on: August 25, 2018, 06:22:53 pm »
Hi,
I've been bucket feeding sugar syrup (1 to 1) past couple of weeks since finding zero stores in all my hives.  They have been sucking dry the buckets with very little (if any)  being stored in cells.  Been finding lots of bees, pollen but no nectar/sugar syrup stores.  I live in MA and also have some in Eastern Maine (both have no stores).  I have top hive feeders, don't like the frame feeders due to drowning so I am trying the bucket feeders now.

Wondering If I should change to a 2 to 1 sugar syrup instead to get them to store.  Maybe one of each (1 to 1 or 2 to 1 syrup)?  What are your thoughts going forward?

thanks
Tazz

Offline cao

• Super Bee
Re: feeding sugar syrup questions
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2018, 06:55:37 pm »
Whenever I feed it is always at least 2 to 1.  The thicker the better IMO.  I don't know whether your bees will store it or not. 

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2018, 09:11:11 pm »
2X1 for storing.
1X1 for feeding and making more bees.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline Sledin

• New Bee
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2018, 11:09:37 pm »
I haven't looked since I pulled the honey a week ago, but I'm open feeding 20 gallons water to 80kgs sugar. I'm hoping it's going into stores.
(Used a trolling motor to mix, turned it on and poured in the sugar, let it go for a couple hours)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2018, 05:52:34 am »
I've been bucket feeding sugar syrup (1 to 1) past couple of weeks since finding zero stores in all my hives.  They have been sucking dry the buckets with very little (if any)  being stored in cells. 

Any chance the neighborhood is getting most of it and not your bees. That is a draw back to open feeding. I like jar top feeders so you can target feed........if the number of hives in manageable....
John 3:16

Offline chickenwing654

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2018, 08:57:04 pm »
No,
I believe they are my bees.  It is like a highway from and to the hive from the feeder  bucket.  I even checked by throwing some powdered sugar on the bees from the bucket feeder.   The powdered sugar was on the bees returning to the hive 250 feet away. 

I have three top feeders that I added a 2 to 1 syrup today.  I have 9 hives between Maine and Ma.  They had some stored syrup on todays quick inspection.

Thanks
David

Offline Hops Brewster

• Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2018, 10:49:36 am »
I haven't looked since I pulled the honey a week ago, but I'm open feeding 20 gallons water to 80kgs sugar. I'm hoping it's going into stores.
(Used a trolling motor to mix, turned it on and poured in the sugar, let it go for a couple hours)
S trolling motor?  Dang!  You need to get out fishing more!
Winter is coming.

I can't say I hate the government, but I am proudly distrustful of them.

Offline Sledin

• New Bee
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2018, 03:33:29 pm »
S trolling motor?  Dang!  You need to get out fishing more!
I don't deny that!

The open feeding was a fail, I think only the one strong hive got enough, so I wonder where the other 60kgs of sugar went.
I combined the two weakest hives and am feeding directly into the hive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2018, 05:31:37 pm »
That sugar water went to your neighbors hives and to any feral hives. A good reason not to open feed.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin