Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Breaking a Broody Hen  (Read 4636 times)

Offline gww

• Super Bee
Re: Breaking a Broody Hen
« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2023, 09:39:06 am »
Mine will stay with or with out eggs and will sometimes move to the next egg laid.

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2023, 12:02:41 pm »
Solitary confinement seems to have worked.  My sister put this chicken in one of our rabbit tractors, which are empty currently, for several days, and this morning when she let her out, the hen went right to a nest box, but then she got back off of it, and she hasn't been back on it since. 
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline gww

• Super Bee
« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2023, 01:20:44 pm »
Now lets hope she is laying again.  Mine are mostly starting molting and I am down to very few eggs a day.

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2023, 11:52:23 am »
Mine are mostly starting molting and I am down to very few eggs a day.

Have several doing the same and one of the 7 month old hens decided to get broody.  Man, can she screech!  Don't know how it goes where you are by our egg laying will start dropping off a lot over the next month as the days get short.
There is no week nor day nor hour when tyranny may not enter upon this country, if the people lose their roughness and spirit of defiance.? --Walt Whitman

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2024, 05:19:55 pm »
I figured this topic would be as good a place as any to ask a chicken question. It has been years since I have incubated eggs and I have completely forgotten at what temperature to set the incubator. What temperature do you set your incubator on? Thanks!

Phillip
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2024, 05:33:34 pm »
I'm pretty sure our incubator is preset to 100F. 
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #26 on: Today at 06:10:47 am »
Pretty sure I always had 101 F as the target which means it varies between 100 and 102 F or so.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

anything