Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: i know you guys up north will laugh but  (Read 9809 times)

Offline 10framer

• Super Bee
i know you guys up north will laugh but
« on: January 02, 2014, 09:26:13 pm »
it's going to be cold down here for the next week or so.  lows in the lower 20's and teens. 

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
Re: i know you guys up north will laugh but
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2014, 10:16:00 pm »
Looks like we might have to get up in the middle of the night and close the windows 8-)
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline 10framer

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2014, 11:22:44 pm »
this time last year we were having highs in the mid to upper 70's.  i sent a couple of hives into winter only covering about 7 out of 10 frames.  i've wanted to feed but i hate cracking the top when they are clustering or when it's pouring rain.  next year i'm going to try some of the feeders that sit on inner covers (i've never used an inner cover before).  would make feeding in the cold or rain a lot easier.

Offline Bush_84

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2014, 11:46:41 pm »
We haven't seen highs in the 20s very much this winter. 
Keeping bees since 2011.

Also please excuse the typos.  My iPad autocorrect can be brutal.

Offline BlueBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2014, 12:07:16 am »
When you have ice forming in your toilet bowl ring, then we’ll talk "cold"  :laugh:

Offline 10framer

• Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2014, 12:50:15 am »
i've got a friend in montana and she lived down here a few years and she doesn't really remember the oppressive heat so she talks about missing the "warm" weather down here.  cold doesn't really bother me too much for the short time we have it.  i feel for you guys.

Offline Steel Tiger

• Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2014, 12:59:27 am »
 Today we had a high of 5. It's not suppose to be much warmer tomorrow. Looking at a thermometer right now... it's 1 degree.
 On the bright side, it'll be in the 30s next week. I might take a drive to the beach.

Offline bulldog

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2014, 02:01:52 am »
I wouldn't laugh, I actually wear my coat when it's that chilly. I laugh when It's 40 or 50 degrees and y'all are wearing coats and I'm in shorts and a t-shirt though. but then there is probably somebody in Saskatchewan laughing at me for thinking teens and 20's is cold. I guess it's all relative.
Confucius say "He who stand on toilet is high on pot"

Offline charlie b

• House Bee
    • You Tube
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2014, 09:58:33 am »
Wis. -13 for a high Sunday and -11 on Monday just 15 miles south of Lake Superior...Where ever you are, I'm hoping your bees are genetically adapted to your area and that they over winter strong!

Offline sterling

• Queen Bee
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2014, 11:09:15 am »
When you have ice forming in your toilet bowl ring, then we’ll talk "cold"  :laugh:

Blue you might should close your SBB. :)

Offline T Beek

• Super Bee
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2014, 11:24:19 am »
Looks like we might have to get up in the middle of the night and close the windows 8-)

We could 'feel' 30 below zero tomorrow night, NOT including for wind chill which could reach minus 60.  

A bucket of water thrown into the air will freeze solid before touching the ground for the next few nights.  

If its clear (and the predicted temps indicate it) the stars will be brighter these next few nights than at any other time of the year.  If sunspot activity is active we might see a glorious display of Northern Lights.  A cause for celebration is at hand ;).  Extreme cold reminds us how fragile life can be AND how tough…...

I don't mind filling our stove up with wood, tampering it down and 'cracking a window' or two if it gets too hot in the house  :laugh:.   Wouldn't even think of doing that if we heated the house with anything else but wood.  

Let it come, the first dandelions are only 4-5 months away (and at last check my hives are alive with bees).
"Trust those who seek the truth, doubt those who say they've found it."

Offline Bush_84

• Field Bee
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2014, 05:21:49 pm »

We could 'feel' 30 below zero tomorrow night, NOT including for wind chill which could reach minus 60.  

A bucket of water thrown into the air will freeze solid before touching the ground for the next few nights.  

If its clear (and the predicted temps indicate it) the stars will be brighter these next few nights than at any other time of the year.  If sunspot activity is active we might see a glorious display of Northern Lights.  A cause for celebration is at hand ;).  Extreme cold reminds us how fragile life can be AND how tough…...

I don't mind filling our stove up with wood, tampering it down and 'cracking a window' or two if it gets too hot in the house  :laugh:.   Wouldn't even think of doing that if we heated the house with anything else but wood.  

Let it come, the first dandelions are only 4-5 months away (and at last check my hives are alive with bees).

I am with you with the high wind chills up to -50 and as low as -60 on Sunday.  They are closing all schools state wide on Monday per governors orders.
Keeping bees since 2011.

Offline charlie b

• House Bee
    • You Tube
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2014, 05:36:01 pm »
Hey TBeek.. Really glad your bees are buzzin :bee:!! Really....I have a wood stove too and being jsut 75 miles or so from you, we enjoy the same weather. Praise God, you know your alive when you step outside to get more wood or put a new battery in your car, like I just did.

Offline Bush_84

• Field Bee
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2014, 08:23:38 pm »
Ya these are the days when you can feel the oil on your face freeze instantly upon walking outside.  So far I still have a nuc trucking in through this crap.  One nuc lost and one full size hive lost.  Four full size hives still seem to be doing great. 
Keeping bees since 2011.

Offline 10framer

• Super Bee
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2014, 11:54:16 pm »

we don't see the northern lights but one of my favorite things about a cold winter night is sky watching.  it's been cloudy so long i'm not sure what time the moon is rising or what phase it's in but i'll try to remember to do a little astro photography tomorrow night.

Offline 10framer

• Super Bee
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2014, 11:44:53 pm »
now it's supposed to get down to 11 with 20 mph winds in a couple of days.  in about a week we'll have lows around 40 and highs in the 60's again.  winter in dixie, go figure.

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2014, 07:26:14 am »
...better keep that water dripping.
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2014, 08:12:58 am »

T, we have been cold and warm here,( negative 6 now, negative 13 yesterday) the weekend after Christmas I saw one lonely dandelion in the yard.I'm wondering if it's staying cozy under the blanket of snow we got on Thursday.

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2014, 08:13:47 am »
And I had bees flying on  the warm days right after Christmas.

Offline 10framer

• Super Bee
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2014, 11:31:08 am »
i've got a few dandelions blooming in town but they don't look too happy.  this will break and the maples will be in in a couple of weeks.  if my weak ones make it through the next week they should be ok.
i'm close to being able to move into my place in the country part time and then i'll be able to get caught back up with the bees.
stay warm up there guys.  i'm thinking the ground hog won't see his shadow this year.