BEEKEEPING LEARNING CENTER > GENERAL BEEKEEPING - MAIN POSTING FORUM.

8 frame vs 10 frame

(1/8) > >>

TheHoneyPump:
Here is a question I have from some recent discussions.
There are advocates for 10 frame boxes and advocates for 8 frame boxes. Almost equal counts of pros and cons to each and over each other.  Lets say I want to try some 8 frame hive setups to get direct comparisons on how that performs to the 10 frame hive right next to it.  But I have all 10 frame equipment.  What is out there available for purchase or to make as blocks inserts that will drop into the 10 frame box, completely fill and block off the full 2 frame space? It needs to lightweight/featherweight, be cheap to buy or very low time to make, and will work for the entire hive stack, meaning there is a block in each box and each super in a hive that is 6 to 7 deeps tall. I might like to try it and see how the bees behave in the narrower but taller stack, but I have no money and no time to go on a box construction/modification odyssey.
 .. Suggestions of cutting down boxes are excluded from the inquiry. 
What have folks done or what ideas are out there for such an insert?

BeeMaster2:
THP,
I recommend using foam insulation boards with fill backing. Just cut them so that they are tight fitting.
Jim Altmiller

Ben Framed:
HoneyPump, I suppose some proper size inserts could be made reducing a 10 frame space to an 8 frame space. If you don't mind me asking; Will this possibly lead to an experiment to see which you like best, (10 or 8 frames), that is, if you get the positive responses you seek? If so, (and for curiosity), how many hives do you anticipate on using in your very own experiment? The reason I ask, there are frame feeders which 'might' fit the bill for inserts, decreasing the need to build inserts from scratch for a simple experiment? Just throwing it out there for your consideration.

Phillip

Ben Framed:

--- Quote from: BeeMaster2 on May 18, 2022, 12:47:54 am ---THP,
I recommend using foam insulation boards with fill backing. Just cut them so that they are tight fitting.
Jim Altmiller

--- End quote ---

Never mind my suggestion, I like Jims much better!

Phillip

BeeMaster2:
Frame feeders wou also work very well.
Jim Altmiller

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version