Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Human Consumption of Swarm Honey  (Read 4025 times)

Offline DoctorZ

• New Bee
Human Consumption of Swarm Honey
« on: September 06, 2014, 01:05:59 pm »
Beek Greetings from Mystic Ct

I've just started responding to swarm calls in my area and to re-hive them for my use. My last one was a borderline disaster in that there was a lot of full honey comb which was getting in the way of re-framing brood comb using the rubber band trick. I was trying to re-frame honey comb with poor results (sagging in the frames,LOTS of dripping honey etc.) The queen most likely drowned in a pool of honey.

What I realized now is that I should have put the honey combs in a clean bucket, which would keep the area clean (i.e. honey free) and to concentrate on the re-framing the brood and pollen stores.

Is putting honey comb is clean buckets the preferred conops or does one attempt to re-frame it?

Given that there was several pounds of honey that could not be re-framed, I was wondering if that honey was good for human consumption for personal use. My logic is that the colony was a swarm, unattended in a suburban environment, and if there were any contaminants in theory it would be the same as if there was other "attended" hive nearby.

I understand that I don't know where the bees forage, but if I had property in that neighborhood, I would keep bees there.

Thoughs?

Thanks all,

George
Hoover: The man, the dam, the vacuum.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Human Consumption of Swarm Honey
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2014, 07:58:31 am »
George,
Due to SHBs and wax moths down here, I never put large amounts of honey in a hive from a cutout hive. The reason is that it will take about 3 days for the bees to make all of their repairs of all of the comb. During that time they are putting out lots of stress hormones and every SHB and moth in the area can detect it and will attack this hive. They know that the bees will ignore them during the repairs. I see this in my observation hive every time I work in it.
If you think they will really need the honey due to the short time left before winter, you could put it in frames, put it in the freezer and a week later add it to the hive after it has warmed up. Add it in the evening to minimize robbing.
I say a week to allow the bees a chance to remove all of the beetle and moth larvae form the hive.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline asprince

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2014, 11:21:49 am »
Again due to the SHB's cutouts survive best for me if I rubber band in the best looking brood comb and harvest all the honey. I then feed feed and feed till they recover.

Good luck, Steve
Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resembalance to the first. - Ronald Reagan

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2014, 01:39:54 pm »
I eat the cutout honey, but don't sell it. Most of it, tho, gets dirty and I feed it back to the bees.

If there's a good bit of clean, I offer some to the homeowner and/or bystanders. That is usually a big hit in most neighborhoods.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2014, 02:04:07 pm »
Part of the problem with advice on cutouts (which are not swarms...) is that every one is different.  Usually it's difficult to keep the combs clean while doing a cutout.  Sawdust and other debris is often in the honey. Then there is the question of how sure you are someone didn't try to spray them...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2014, 02:53:20 pm »
Part of the problem with advice on cutouts (which are not swarms...) is that every one is different.  Usually it's difficult to keep the combs clean while doing a cutout.  Sawdust and other debris is often in the honey. Then there is the question of how sure you are someone didn't try to spray them...

Very true. I was looking at an section of tree that was blown down. It was full of honey comb. The owner kept assuring me he did not spray it. I cut a piece off to offer them some and smelled it several times to check it but I could not detect anything. I took a mouthful and immediately knew something was wrong. It tasted like the water we used to have to drink on a 35 year old navy ship and it had fuel mixed it from leaking tanks. The owner kept saying that he didn't spray it.
On the way home the fuel taste in my mouth got worse. The owner called a few minutes later and said that he had put some type of fuel on it to burn it and I should go to the hospital and get checked out.
You can never trust what they say.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2014, 03:39:02 pm »
That's another reason I offer the homeowner a few combs.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2014, 04:17:35 pm »
That's another reason I offer the homeowner a few combs.
Funny thing was, his wife wanted some, maybe she did not know.
Jim
Ben Franklin

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2014, 05:38:42 pm »
>That's another reason I offer the homeowner a few combs.That's another reason I offer the homeowner a few combs.

I think that is a brilliant idea.  Not completely foolproof but certainly good evidence to add to the "pile".  I will plan on that next time I do a cutout.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin