Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Trap out problems 18 feet up a tree  (Read 2598 times)

Offline Packrat3wires

• House Bee
Trap out problems 18 feet up a tree
« on: August 10, 2014, 10:43:23 pm »
I am currently doing a trap out next to a pool.    There were 2 entrances / exit  18' up the tree.    I closed one and on the second entrance put my screen cone out and it is working fine.     My problem is I couldn't get my hive box that high up in the tree because of the location and various other issues.    I instead put my hive box 6 feet up the tree.   I added a frame of brood comb and honey inside the box and a little bit of lemon oil.    I have seen some bees going into the hive box but most are still staying 18' up.    Any suggestions?
"evil prevails when good men fail to act"   Edmund Burke

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
Re: Trap out problems 18 feet up a tree
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2014, 10:47:13 pm »
Find a way to get it up there. They will start building comb outside the screen rather than take up in the box.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline Packrat3wires

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2014, 11:00:37 pm »
It is a 10 frame hive that I have hung on the tree.   Should I consider a wooden 5 frame nuc instead to lower the weight?    If I go with a 5 frame will they fill it up quickly?

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2014, 07:50:37 am »
You can use a 5 frame and exchange the frames as they fill.

Yes, it will fill quickly.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline greenbtree

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2014, 05:15:46 pm »
Get some rigid construction foam and make some boxes for trapouts and swarm calls.  Permanently attach a foam bottom board. Paint them to protect them from uv.  I even put in the step for the frame rest, they hold up for multiple seasons.  I suggest using long deck screws along with the glue for strength and to prevent shifting.  They will make you work in these situations MUCH easier.

JC
"Rise again, rise again - though your heart it be broken, or life about to end.  No matter what you've lost, be it a home, a love, a friend, like the Mary Ellen Carter rise again!"

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2014, 06:35:59 am »
Another option is to drill a new hole at the height of your box to see if the tree has rotted down that far.  Add a cone. Then open up the top hole and let the bees in and then plug it up.
You can also do this at the about head high from the ground so that you do not have to climb the tree.
After you drill the hole you may have to wait a while for the bees to find it. Do not plug up the top hole until you verify they have access to your new opening. Make the hole about 1".
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Packrat3wires

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2014, 01:32:56 am »
I ended up running down to Home depot and buying a 3 foot section of L shaped steel angel iron.   I also bought some rope and pulley that were both rated at 240 lbs.   I bolted the angel iron to the tree about 2 feet above the screen exit I had made and then rigged the pulley and rope to the hive body.    I was able to hoist the hive body up so that its entrance was less than 3 inches from my exit screen cone.   I added a frame of eggs and larvae to the box plus a little lemon oil.    It seems to be working out well.   Thanks everyone for the help and advice!!!  :bee: :bee:

Offline deknow

• Field Bee
    • Golden Rule Honey, LLC
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2014, 04:52:21 pm »
A caged queen in the trap out box might also help.

anything