Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: UK Assault Knives?  (Read 8666 times)

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
Re: UK Assault Knives?
« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2023, 09:34:42 pm »
At any rate, the program didn't have a real effect on the war effort, and no effect at all on British gun rights.

True enough.  Heart in the right place.

My sister has lived in England for just over 20 years.  The perception the people have of the US is kind of funny.  They seem to think that bullets fly everywhere, every day, and that people die in the streets for lack of medical care! 
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Online animal

• Queen Bee
« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2023, 11:56:15 pm »
  They seem to think that bullets fly everywhere, every day, and that people die in the streets for lack of medical care!

Yeah, and when you tell them "nah.. it's nowhere near that cool", the look on their face is priceless. :cheesy:
Avatar pic by my oldest daughter (ink and watercolor)

Offline William Bagwell

• House Bee
« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2023, 10:24:52 am »

At any point in a video, put your pointer in the "picture" and right click your mouse.

A dialogue box pops up with several choices, including, "Copy Video URL" and "Copy Video URL at the Current Time".

Click on that "...current time" choice. Then, move to your BM post, and "paste" it in the body of your reply.

Sal
And if you miss by a few seconds, you can manually edit the URL. The " ?t=2313 " at the end is time in seconds, changing it to ?t=2308 for example will make the video start five seconds sooner.

Offline NigelP

• House Bee
« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2023, 12:07:08 pm »
  They seem to think that bullets fly everywhere, every day, and that people die in the streets for lack of medical care!

Yeah, and when you tell them "nah.. it's nowhere near that cool", the look on their face is priceless. :cheesy:

LOL, typical American attitute.
The truth is far from it.

Online animal

• Queen Bee
« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2023, 02:12:41 pm »
yep, though the typical American attitude is also far from what I said, and why the joke works.. .. but ...

Here's a fun true story .. We have a naval air training base here, and get pilots in from all over the world. Oddly enough, we are about 150 miles (240 km. for those that don't understand English) from the nearest "big water" and mostly rural ("rural mississippi" translates closely to "impenetrable forest" in British, btw)
Anyway, met a Brit pilot a few years ago, friendly, really cool, smart, a bit stiff, obviously a credit to his uniform ... and he was curious about a few "Americanisms" ... so ... Being a gun nut and seeing it as my patriotic duty to show hospitality to our divorced extended family, I invited him to go shooting. ... set up range time, called a few friends to make sure there was a variety of firearms, etc...

The day comes, we go over range rules, gun safety; and he shoots a few pistols, rifles, and shotguns. He was having great fun and we made a point to tell him that since he was living off-base : while he was here, he could own and/or possess a gun (this is true), and he was amazed.
Then we brought out the fun stuff .. (Some of my friends have dealer or manufacturers licences for stuff that is HEAVILY regulated and you might say, normally highly illegal to possess.)
Of course, being unfamiliar with US law, the stuff being there, and being able to handle them on a range with a couple of cops a few lanes over ... he didn't know the difference. We didn't even have to try to convince him this was normal ... his mind was totally blown.

So after shooting a few machine guns and while holding an MP-40 He says something like "I've always heard it's easy to get a gun here in the US, but I haven't seen them for sale. Where do I go?" (I guess he hadn't fully explored WalMart yet.)

A buddy says,"Just walk in the back room of the Dollar General, they don't keep 'em up front." (deer in headlights look from our Officer)

At that point, we lost it. The thought of "Mr. Upright" walking into the stockroom of a low-brow variety store looking for a machine gun to purchase, was too much.
He did go deer hunting a few times after, and him politely declining offers to defect to a "free country" became a running joke.

:cheesy:
« Last Edit: June 25, 2023, 02:25:59 pm by animal »

Offline NigelP

• House Bee
« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2023, 02:36:12 pm »
I think the joke loses its poignancy due to few people outside of the USA knowing  what a Walmarts or a Dollar General actually are, Having visited  several times I know what a Walmart (general store) is, but a Dollar General??? Another cheap food chain???
You seem to exploit your understanding of what is natural to you to mock those who don?t understand your ?native? lingo. Rather than being good hosts and explaining.

Online animal

• Queen Bee
« Reply #26 on: June 25, 2023, 03:18:37 pm »
it's called good natured hazing.. sort of a passive-aggressive way for one man to tell another that he likes him without saying it outright.
A way of "breaking the ice". After this, he was comfortable dishing it back out at each of us... and he did. Once all are comfortable, we become friends.
After this, there were several times he had all the guys laughing at me or at another in the group. It was fun, and we had fun doing other things at the same time.

Among some men, "throwing them in the middle of things" rather than explaining like they are a child is an unspoken sign of respect. This was a military guy, and we knew he would understand that.

Edit to add: Dollar General is a like a much smaller, lower class, version of WalMart crammed with all sorts of cheap stuff. There was one between the base and his house .. they're pretty much everywhere down here.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2023, 03:32:57 pm by animal »

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #27 on: June 25, 2023, 08:34:23 pm »

At any point in a video, put your pointer in the "picture" and right click your mouse.

A dialogue box pops up with several choices, including, "Copy Video URL" and "Copy Video URL at the Current Time".

Click on that "...current time" choice. Then, move to your BM post, and "paste" it in the body of your reply.

Sal
And if you miss by a few seconds, you can manually edit the URL. The " ?t=2313 " at the end is time in seconds, changing it to ?t=2308 for example will make the video start five seconds sooner.

Thanks to you both, William and Sal;..

2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #28 on: June 25, 2023, 08:57:29 pm »
This was a military guy, and we knew he would understand that.

The military hazing is pretty much universal.  :grin:

My brother took my British BIL out shooting.  He had a good time until he didn't seat the shotgun well and bruised his shoulder.  He was a good sport about it all though and at least had some stories to take home.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Online animal

• Queen Bee
« Reply #29 on: June 25, 2023, 11:21:48 pm »
yep, and universal among rednecks too :cool:

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #30 on: June 26, 2023, 06:23:24 am »
>They seem to think that bullets fly everywhere, every day, and that people die in the streets for lack of medical care!

That's Chicago...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

salvo

« Reply #31 on: June 26, 2023, 09:30:31 am »
Rednecks