Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Set the record straight  (Read 3268 times)

Offline Hi-Tech

• Field Bee
    • talkhunting.com
Set the record straight
« on: December 17, 2015, 01:37:04 pm »
I want to set the record straight on a few things that I am getting tired of hearing. Its my post and I can rant if I want to...

Military Grade Weapons:
This term is getting thrown around a lot and it is misleading. Just because a gun looks all cool and Rambo like and because you have seen it in a movie, doesn't make it a military grade weapon. Just because I make a car to look like the batmobile, its still not actually the batmobile. For those who like to talk down on guns but don't actually know anything about them, let me explain. Guns that can be sold to the general public are not allowed to be fully automatic (hold the trigger and the gun keeps firing at a fast rate of speed) without a special, hard to get and very expensive license. Rifles that are sold to the general public are generally one of 4 types.

Semi-Automatic - The gun fires one time every time you pull the trigger. No manual loading of bullets is needed
Bolt Action - The gun fires one bullet when the trigger is pulled and then must be bolted to put another round in the chamber. (takes 1 second)
Pump Action - The gun fires one bullet when the trigger is pulled and then must be pumped to put another round in the chamber. (takes 1 second)
Single Shot - The gun fires one bullet when the trigger is pulled and then must be opened to put another round in the chamber. (takes 5 seconds)

No matter how cool or dangerous the rifle looks, it is still only capable of coming in one of the 4 styles above. You cannot buy a military grade (which means fully automatic) rifle.

Assault Rifle
See above. this is basically the same term as a military grade weapon. However, I will add to this. ALL guns are made to assault something. Whether its assaulting targets, animals or people, a gun is designed to fire a projectile out and assault something. Therefore, technically, a BB gun is an assault rifle. A Baseball bat is an assault bat, a hammer is an assault hammer.... need I go on?

Hi-Powered Weapons:
The media loves to use this term but its actually kind of stupid. I have never bought a low powered weapon, if such a thing exists. I guess you could call a slingshot a low powered weapon but if it hits you in the head with a rock, you may disagree. All guns are weapons. I will not argue this. However, all rifles and handguns that fire a bullet, no matter the caliber size, will kill a human. Do I want to be shot in the head by a 22 or by a 50 cal? Neither because I am still dead either way. They are ALL high powered weapons if the definition of that is that it can kill. We cant yet set our phasers on stun (though I would love to own one of those) so all rifles, by default, are set to kill.

Arsenal:
I love this one. The Cali terrorist had an arsenal. They had 2 semi automatic rifles, 2 semi automatic pistols and 5000 thousand rounds of ammo. Big deal. Almost every person I know has 5 times that many guns and if they shoot a lot, way more ammo. I have some AR15s that I love to shoot at the range as well as varmint hunt with. At the range, I can shoot 300 to 500 rounds in a day, easy, target shooting. Now, I can buy that 223 ammo in 20 round boxes at 75 cents per round, or I can buy 3000 rounds, in bulk, for 33 cents each. I can even get better discounts if I buy 5000 rounds or higher. Which would you rather do?

Hi-Capacity magazines:
Yeah, if we ban this, than the terrorist will have to spend the 1 second it takes to change a magazine every 10 rounds instead of every 30. Seriously? It takes less time to change a mag than it does to fart. Besides, only an idiot waits until their gun is empty to change the mag. This is to prevent you from charging him when his gun is empty. Running a gun dry pretty much only happens in movies and at the range.

I would love to live in a wonderful world where bad things never happen and people are nice to each other. However, that world doesn't exist and never will. Never. There will always be people who will do bad things to other people. You can no more stop that by outlawing guns than you can stop drug abuse by outlawing drugs. The world has a lot of bad people in it and that's just the way it is. Also, there actually was a time in our history when no one on earth owned a gun. But then again, they all wore a sword...

How do you deal with the bad people? Im glad you asked.. You lock up the crazy people, like we used to do and you kill the bad people. Easy Cheesy. If you cant do that, then you carry your own weapon in case you need to handle it yourself...
« Last Edit: December 17, 2015, 02:03:29 pm by Hi-Tech »
Computer Tech, Beekeeper, Hunter = Hi-Tech Redneck
talkhunting.com

Offline herbhome

• Field Bee
Re: Set the record straight
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2015, 03:51:03 pm »
Well said, we have the news media and their need to sensationalize issues to thank for all those skewed definitions. Not that a lunatic shooting a bunch of innocent folk isn't sensational bad-it's as bad as it can get. I wish news in this country would settle for just reporting the facts but that doesn't seem to be the norm anymore.
Neill

Offline hjon71

• Queen Bee
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2015, 05:34:24 pm »
You.....you......you

You get it!
Now where is that pesky applause emoji? You deserve it.

Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of liberty.

John F. Kennedy

Quite difficult matters can be explained even to a slow-witted man, if only he has not already adopted a wrong opinion about them; but the simplest things cannot be made clear even to a very intelligent man if he is firmly persuaded that he already knows, and knows indubitably, the truth of the matter under consideration. -Leo Tolstoy

Offline Dallasbeek

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2015, 07:37:09 pm »
Good post, Hi-Tech.

I'd add that guns are used to prevent a lot more crimes than they are used in crimes.  But when a gun is used to prevent a crime, more often than not, no police report is filed.  I've seen some estimates on the numbers, but if there are no reports filed the estimates are just guesswork.  Anti-gunners would have us believe guns never prevent crimes. 
"Liberty lives in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no laws, no court can save it." - Judge Learned Hand, 1944

Offline Hi-Tech

• Field Bee
    • talkhunting.com
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2015, 10:06:26 pm »
"Liberty lives in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no laws, no court can save it." - Judge Learned Hand, 1944

Liberty and Patriotism are conjoined twins. When one dies, so does the other....
Computer Tech, Beekeeper, Hunter = Hi-Tech Redneck
talkhunting.com

Offline herbhome

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2015, 05:22:47 pm »
Hear Here!
Neill