Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: First NUC - first Hive  (Read 1079 times)

Offline Captain776

• House Bee
  • Captain
First NUC - first Hive
« on: April 17, 2017, 01:33:48 am »
I bought my first 8 frame NUC on April 7 and they are still in the NUC box, they acclimated themselves well and appear to be happy.
I did an inspection yesterday and the frames are completely drawn down with comb 9they were when they gave me the NUC) but only 50-60% of the cells are currently in use.
I plan to just leave them in the NUC box until they get built out further and get stronger and have more bees.
I am not in a hurry to put a Super on, instead.....what I was thinking to do was when the bees get built out to 75% or so, then add a second brood box.
My thinking is, I want to make more numbers of bees and a stronger hive before I add the first Super.
When the second Super is well established, then I would do one or 2 splits before adding the first Super.

Is that a good plan?

Thanks,

Bruce
Bought my first NUC April 7, 2016.
Like all you when you first started, I am fascinated with beginning Beekeeping and trying to learn all I can.
I retired May 2015 and have added this to my short list of hobbies.

Online Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
Re: First NUC - first Hive
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2017, 08:52:38 am »
I don't know how your flows go but the rate of expansion is dependent on flows.  If you make splits during a dearth you have to be ready to feed.  If you get to aggressive with manipulations on a young hive they will supercede.  Beekeepers do all kinds of things in the first year and some get lucky.  If you come away from the first year just figuring out the flow patterns and timing you will be doing great.  Good luck.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline Sniper338

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2017, 08:12:29 pm »
Your way ahead of yourself.  But if its an established nuc, they need to be put in a hive already... like 2 weeks ago.. then let them build up and slmost fill the first hivd body...  then put on a second hive body and let them grow into it...  then when time comes add a queen excluder and a honey super.   Come winter the hive will shrink and you will have to try to get them through winter..

I wouldnt worry sbout splitting a new hive this year.

Offline Captain776

• House Bee
  • Captain
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2017, 09:59:28 pm »
Thanks for your responses.
I am not in a hurry to get the cart before the horse and is why I am asking questions.
The sawmill is making some boxes for me and a few other things, when I get everything back next week I will put the NUC into the permanent hive.

Bruce
Bought my first NUC April 7, 2016.
Like all you when you first started, I am fascinated with beginning Beekeeping and trying to learn all I can.
I retired May 2015 and have added this to my short list of hobbies.