Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10
HONEYBEE REMOVAL / Re: Expensive Issue
« Last post by Bill Murray on Today at 10:03:59 am »
There are also the "special" customers

And these are growing every year.
GENERAL BEEKEEPING - MAIN POSTING FORUM. / Re: Swarm Catching
« Last post by Bill Murray on Today at 09:59:41 am »
When I see a monster swarm with a great queen in a tree I failed.

Thank you beesnweeds if everyone understood this statement they would; have stronger hives, make more honey, and have in general helthier hives of bees.
CRAFTING CORNER / Re: Creamed honey advice
« Last post by Bill Murray on Today at 09:52:38 am »
I posted this somewhere else but this looks like the place for it.

I get a froth on the top when I use a mechanical means to mix. personally I love it, but it looks bad in the finished product. No matter how much I scrape there is always more. Is there a way to remove this?
So one of Marleys hive went queenless and Drone layer this year, after 5 weeks of installing Eggs/BAS, and queen cells they finally decided they were ready to accept a queen,good thing for them because she was ready to dump them and start over. This was her takeaway on the whole situation. If I would have dumped them day 1 and made up a new hive I would be further ahead with a lot less time. Out of the mouth of babes. 
Thats interesting, I had a conversation with the person doing the labwork and they said this Quote: Some hives in the study had high infections (up to 11 million spores per honey bee)that were also not showing any signs of infection. So I personally would assume N. ceranae. Which would explain a lot for why some hives just dont do well some years and peter out. Wet warm weather in Dec thru Feb, with early building and low early pollen are the years I normally have issues with  N. apis. But I can see that. This N. ceranae is a totally different animal, it will be interesting to see if the spore count drops going into summer or if it goes up.
« Last post by BeeMaster2 on Today at 09:20:27 am »
Salyancent,
Welcome to Beemaster.
Jim Altmiller
« Last post by Saiyancent on Today at 09:17:10 am »
Making creamed honey for your grandkids sounds like a sweet idea! For a really creamy texture, try using a small amount of finely crystallized honey as your "seed honey." This will help kickstart the crystallization process and create fine grains.
https://bushfarms.com/beesfeeding.htm#drysugar

Yes, dry sugar straight works.  But they are not going to go to a lot of effort to store it.  If you don't clump it up a bit then they may haul it out for trash.  See the link above for details.
So it would be safe to just give them straight sugar? I have heard of sugar patties or loaf or whatever they want to call it and syrup but I hadn't hear of just straight sugar. I figured bees couldn't handle it for some reason.
Generally I feed syrup, but that depends on the time of year and the goal.  When you feed dry sugar it keeps them from starving and it usually doesn't get stored much, but it's there if they need it.  Syrup is more useful if you want it to get stored or if you want to stimulate brood.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10