Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Giant Pumpkin Surgery  (Read 9019 times)

Offline BlueBee

• Galactic Bee
Giant Pumpkin Surgery
« on: August 05, 2011, 12:30:57 pm »
Does anybody know how to fix this?  I was disappointed when I discovered that my biggest Atlantic Giant pumpkin had split its stem in half.  As it grew bigger it may have pushed the main vine away and ripped it in two :( :( :(

While on the subject of giant pumpkins, does anybody have growing tips to share?  This was my 3rd year with the Atlantic Giants and I’m still learning.  This one was up to about 200lbs before the stem split.

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
Re: Giant Pumpkin Surgery
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2011, 12:50:46 pm »
Sounds like you are about to have pie early.   I know of no fix there.

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
  • Best use of smileys in a post award.
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2011, 02:25:40 pm »
Would it hurt to duct-tape it back together?  I doubt it would grow back, but I can't see how it would hurt, other than accidentally snapping the other half too.  That's a big pumpkin!!

Sounds hokey, but I was able to save zucchini plants from vine borers by slicing the stems open.  Sometimes the unconventional can really do the trick.  You may ask what kind of nut tries to save zucchini plants, but I usually only plant 2. :-D
Rick

Offline AliciaH

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2011, 10:09:30 am »
BlueBee:  It's only 6:00 a.m. here, I'll ask my husband, Brian, when he gets up.  Is this your only giant this year?  Or do I remember you telling me you had more?

Offline BlueBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2011, 01:02:45 pm »
This is my best pumpkin this year.  A storm damaged a couple of my other plants.  I generally only let one fruit grow per plant to get max size.  I have a couple other fruit, but they’re not as big.  

Will probably try what Dr Rick says, and give duct tape a try.  Allen, no pie for you!

Offline AliciaH

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2011, 02:26:56 pm »
Brian here:  Bluebee, stem or main vine splits are not the end of your season.  I normally take all of the side vines and leaves off from directly around my main pumpkin to reduce stress and clear the way for the pumpkin to grow.  I can't really see specifically from the photo where your issue is.  If the split is in the stem silicone caulk can be used to seal the split and the fruit will try to back fill in behind it.  with a vine split just get it good and dry and use CAPTAN powder fungicide to dry it out and stop any disease.  I just cut a 200 pounder off yesterday because it was looking strange and being a bit soft.  My secondary was only 40 pounds behind, just a single good days growth.  Best of luck and grow them BIG!

Offline BlueBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2011, 02:42:11 pm »
Thanks a lot Brian.  I still have a lot of learning to do with the big pumpkins. 

It’s a nice feeling to see them rise above the green leaves though isn’t it!  My secondary pumpkin is probably 100 lbs, but it doesn’t appear to have the same genetics as the first one.  The first one has the characteristic pinkish skin and furrows of a AG.  The 100 pounder is more yellowish and lacks the furrows I associate with the AGs.