Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Quick question from newbie.  (Read 1378 times)

Offline wharfrat

• House Bee
Quick question from newbie.
« on: October 20, 2008, 10:26:23 am »
Hello, this is my first year. I'm in Virginia, and the last couple of nights have gotten down to the Mid 30's.
I didn't start my hive until June. I started a package and it is now full of bees in 3 medium supers. I'm currently feeding to try to get the hive enough honey to overwinter. I'm using a Boardman feeder, and have the hive opening reduced to about 1 inch. I had to reduce the opening following what appeared to be a rather dramatic raid. I think my girls are holding there own now.

So..the question....it seems that about 20 bees per night are just 'forgetting' to go inside. In the morning, they are outside on the front porch or around the hive on the cinder blocks. They are still standing as if normal, but have died from getting too cold. Is this normal or symptomatic of another problem?

Thanks for the replies.

Pat

Offline asprince

• Super Bee
Re: Quick question from newbie.
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2008, 11:29:32 am »
Are they drones? They are pushed out this time of the year.

Steve
Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resembalance to the first. - Ronald Reagan

Offline wharfrat

• House Bee
Re: Quick question from newbie.
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2008, 11:53:10 am »
Thanks Steve, I'll have to look closer tomorrow morning, but they appear to be girlies.