Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: First call for a trap out  (Read 2449 times)

Offline mtbe

• House Bee
First call for a trap out
« on: June 21, 2010, 11:07:07 am »
Earlier this spring, I called the local extermination company to ask to call me if they got calls for any bees.

Got a call last week and stopped by the place last weekend.

Bees are entering under the flashing at the chimney, on the roof side.  Chimney runs on outside of house from ground floor to top.  It's a two story house.  The roof is a hip roof and the peak is up against the chimney.

The flashing is about 4 ft on both sides of the hip roof.  It appears the bees are entering through areas of about 2 ft length of the flashing.

Crawled in the attic hoping for a cutout, but this part of the roof/attic is not accessible (unless I cut through it).

So, how does one go about doing a trapout when there is a 2 ft section where the bees are entering?  Even if I could build the screen for that, there is another 6 feet of flashing for them to get around.  I'll try to post pics tomorrow if I can.

Offline asprince

• Super Bee
Re: First call for a trap out
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2010, 11:21:53 am »
Reduce the size of the entrance.

Steve
Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resembalance to the first. - Ronald Reagan

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2010, 03:37:42 pm »
Exactly like this..........

"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline mtbe

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2010, 11:33:23 pm »
Picture attached of the layout.

Was also informed that this in not a hip roof.

There is no access from inside from the attic.  I looked already.  I would have to cut through the owner's closet on the second floor, and hope they were where I cut.

I'll try a trapout.

So, looking at the pic below, I was planning on placing the hive box on the roof, above the chimney, so the chimney supports the box.  This would mean no wood work or support needed built for the hive.  Plus, the roof is pretty steep, and I'm not a structural person to build support.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

But this also means the hive entrance won't be close to the existing entrance at the chimney, it would be 4-6 inches above where they are currently entering/exiting.

Any ideas?

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2010, 11:52:45 pm »
My first suggestion would be they don't do any structural damage, are out of the way and won't be stinging anyone, and it just would be a waste of his 500 dollars to have them removed.

If that didn't work, I would clean the debris, caulk all the entrances with silicone, make a new entrance at or near the top. Give them a few days to adjust to the new entrance, then set the trap.

Then in a few weeks, I would take my bees and the 500 and go home.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2010, 12:00:42 am »
Is that a slate roof? If so be very careful...that stuff ain't cheap anymore. Do you have a borescope? Maybe just a small peephole cut into the closet would give you a direction on which way to go. It looks like either a mansard style roof or maybe just a steep (snow load) gable? If the interior rooms have vertical walls there will be a cavity between them and the roof decking...that's where you'll find the bees.

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

anything