Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: I know what's too cold - but what's too hot?  (Read 2142 times)

Offline Jessaboo

• House Bee
    • Three Little Birds
I know what's too cold - but what's too hot?
« on: July 22, 2008, 11:04:12 pm »
I would love to hear some opinions about opening hives in super hot, humid weather like we've been having in Jersey these past few weeks. (I'll add dry to that, too).

Does the hive have to work just as hard to regulate the brood and interior temps as they would if you worked in cold weather?

What do you folks in Texas and Arizona etc. do?

Do they get testy in hot weather? (the bees, not the Texans and Arizonians)

Is there a high temp (weather-wise) that is brood-killing or even bee killing?

Thanks.

- Jess

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
  • Best use of smileys in a post award.
Re: I know what's too cold - but what's too hot?
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2008, 09:46:43 am »
Probably the biggest danger in opening the hive in hot weather is...

...YOU!

Heat stroke, dehydration can creep up pretty quickly when engaged in the fascinating study of the hive.

The bees seem to be able to handle it pretty well.  They will just get more fanners to cool it down.  And you want to be careful of how you set brood and comb, if it is in the sun it can melt and slump really quickly.

If you can help it you should avoid beekeeping in the heat of the day, not for them, but for your own sake. 

Rick
Rick

Offline BeeHopper

• Queen Bee
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2008, 10:15:23 am »
Hi Jess,

My hives have never been testy during prolonged hot and humid weather, they just seem to be busier than normal. I have made changes to the hive setup since the spring of 2006, gone are the inner and telescoping metal covers and solid bottom boards, replaced with a screened Slatted Rack for bottoms, painted tops with upper entrances. The beards are significantly smaller to nonexistent now with the improved ventilation, in addition, my hives receive late afternoon shade.
 After a million years or so, the honeybees are better at climate control than we are  ;)

Offline utahbeekeeper

• House Bee
    • Millcreek Valley Farm
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2008, 10:16:47 am »
Scads . . . one of the best answers I have seen here.  We get so involved with caring for our bees, hoping we do the right thing by them that our own health and well being can take a back seat.

Especially for those of us who "suit up"  and are older like me . . . watch for signs of heat frustration in July and August.  Drink lots of fluids.

Jess . . . commercial meltdowns happen in the Imperial Valley.  We used to truck our hives from San Diego to El Centro for Alfalfa seed production and the farmers had tin roofed shelters that would protect 8 hives all around the field.  The bees can take care of HVAC pretty good if they are protected from direct sun, even when it is 114 degrees
Pleasant words are like an honeycomb, sweet to the soul and health to the bones.  Prov 16:24

Offline Ross

• Field Bee
    • http://www.myoldtools.com
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2008, 10:21:46 am »
103 yesterday.  Hives in full sun.  Just prop the tops and make sure they can find water close by.  The bees do the rest.
www.myoldtools.com
Those who don't read good books have no advantage over those who can't---Mark Twain

Offline qa33010

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2008, 04:34:09 am »
    You're right about danger to us.  I went in last week and my kids relayed out.  Temp mid to high ninties and high humidity.  I was suited up and spent three hours out there didn't realize it until I came in, I was so focused on the bees and teaching the kids.  Shakes for two days drank water for six hours before kidneys and bladder started working.  Next time I take breaks more often.  I know better also, so it was a dumb move.  Just take care of you and don't forget, you can't work with your bees if you're not there to enjoy it. :(

The bees just pressed on as usual.
Everyone said it couldn't be done. But he with a chuckle replied, "I won't be one to say it is so, until I give it a try."  So he buckled right in with a trace of a grin.  If he had a worry he hid it and he started to sing as he tackled that thing that couldn't be done, and he did it.  (unknown)

Offline SgtMaj

• Queen Bee
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2008, 05:07:23 am »
    You're right about danger to us.  I went in last week and my kids relayed out.  Temp mid to high ninties and high humidity.  I was suited up and spent three hours out there didn't realize it until I came in, I was so focused on the bees and teaching the kids.  Shakes for two days drank water for six hours before kidneys and bladder started working.  Next time I take breaks more often.  I know better also, so it was a dumb move.  Just take care of you and don't forget, you can't work with your bees if you're not there to enjoy it. :(

Sounds like you probably just got severely dehydrated, but if that was heat stroke... be EXTRA careful next time, I've heard it's much easier to overheat the second time around than it is the first.

anything