Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Tomatoes dead  (Read 3825 times)

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
Tomatoes dead
« on: July 23, 2010, 10:34:00 pm »
I had one of the tomatoes lose all green color this week and today looked all but dead, so I cut it to toss it away and saw this white fuzz around the base of the plants.   Anybody got any ideas?

I have pine straw mulch over the black weed mat.  The plants are 8 to 10 foot now.

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
Re: Tomatoes dead
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2010, 11:26:50 pm »
Could be a mold or an aphid...several species of aphid create that fuzzy white stuff. Apple orchard aphids do it here to my tomatoes and peppers.

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline BjornBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2010, 05:07:23 pm »
Not sure what it is.

But I wanted to mention that it would be good not to plant the same crop next year in the same location. Tomatoes especially are susceptible to disease being passed from year to year from spores, etc.
www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org
Please Support "National Honey Bee Day"
Northern States Queen Breeders Assoc.  www.nsqba.com

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2010, 09:58:47 pm »
I poured some bleach on it to kill whatever it was, I hope anyways.

Offline jgaito

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2010, 10:52:11 pm »
not a good year for them.  way too hot.  never seen that though.
pull the root ball and burn it.   turn the soil a few times over the winter and plant something else there next year.

Offline kingfisherfd2

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2011, 11:38:52 am »
From the photos,  I would say that the plant had a serious case of powdery mildew.
I know that I'm late to this topic, but I thought I would ad my .02 
Added moisture to around the base of the plant, and a plant that  was already struggling with something made it more susceptible to attack. 

anything