Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Dispatching Breeder Rabbits  (Read 7121 times)

Online gww

• Super Bee
Re: Dispatching Breeder Rabbits
« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2023, 04:27:02 pm »
15th
Sounds fine to me.  I remember trying to kill a penned bull one time and five shots to the front of the skull did not phase it but behind the ear got it.  We all make mistakes but you should have no problems with your way and rabbits.  My whole life I have used hatchets for chickens and they do not always seem to go easy even headless and it just is what it is.
Good luck. 

Online animal

• Queen Bee
« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2023, 04:31:13 pm »
Sorry, posted the above without seeing your last post...

basically the same as a goat ..(though oddly enough I don't shoot goats or hogs either if given the choice) .....

Look at pictures of a rabbit head showing location of the brain from top and side. Cerebellum and brain stem are the targets.
Avatar pic by my oldest daughter (ink and watercolor)

Online The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2023, 05:00:31 pm »
Thanks so much to everyone, this has been extremely helpful in us reaching a decision here.  We're going to go for the gun first, and if it doesn't work as well as we'd hoped, we'll go back to the kill board.  Heck, we could also do the broomstick, if neither thing works well for us.  We've only got 3 breeders to do, so it's not like this is a whole big production or anything, but we are attached to these bunnies more so than the babies, since they've been with us for a few years, and we do want to try and do our very best for them at the end.  Hopefully it all goes well, but either way, at very least we'll learn for the future.       
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Online The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #23 on: October 15, 2023, 05:56:48 pm »
I just wanted to let everyone know that using the .22 went very well.  It was simple, quick, and complete, and seemed very humane.  It did make the front third of the rabbits inedible, since there were bullet fragments in the meat, but the older rabbits are pretty tough, so we were just planning on feeding the meat to the dogs anyway, so it was no big loss.  The male was like impossible to skin oddly.  We didn't have really any trouble with the females, we just pulled their skins off like the young ones, but we had to use a knife to skin the buck.  Anyway, thanks again to everyone, and now we move on to Silver Foxes.  :happy:     
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Online gww

• Super Bee
« Reply #24 on: October 15, 2023, 06:05:59 pm »
Thanks for the update.

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2023, 06:32:02 pm »
How many million wild rabbits have been eaten with shotgun pellets in the meat? Just pressure cook the older ones and "Bon Apetit".
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Online The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #26 on: October 15, 2023, 07:20:53 pm »
We were just kind of worried about how sharp some of the shards seemed, and it just didn't seem worth it since the meat isn't very good anyway.  We don't have a pressure cooker.

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #27 on: October 15, 2023, 09:12:03 pm »
Homesteading without a pressure cooker/canner? I hope you aren't canning non-acid veggies, meat, or fish without one. Botulism is VERY deadly.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #28 on: October 15, 2023, 09:19:50 pm »
We don't have a pressure cooker.
Instant pot?  You can't can in them but you sure can make meat tender.

Are you going to FD any of the meat? 
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Online animal

• Queen Bee
« Reply #29 on: October 15, 2023, 10:38:31 pm »
bullet fragments ... body shot with a .22 long rifle hollowpoint, perhaps? Sounds like yellow jackets or cci stingers. If so, they are way overpowered. Cheap lead round nose is better, (.22 short better than .22lr) and not many people eat the head.

Anyway, If you get a pressure cooker one day ... pressure fried rabbit, drain it, make some gravy in a skillet, plop in the fried rabbit and smother.

glad it went well..

Online The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #30 on: October 15, 2023, 11:17:50 pm »
Homesteading without a pressure cooker/canner? I hope you aren't canning non-acid veggies, meat, or fish without one. Botulism is VERY deadly.
We aren't doing much canning yet, just jellies and pickles and stuff you can do without the pressure canner.  We've been focusing on the freeze dryer so far, but we do have plans to do more canning in the future.

Instant pot?  You can't can in them but you sure can make meat tender.

Are you going to FD any of the meat? 
No instant pot either.  We are going to freeze dry some of it, along with the organs.  Makes great dog treats.

bullet fragments ... body shot with a .22 long rifle hollowpoint, perhaps? Sounds like yellow jackets or cci stingers. If so, they are way overpowered. Cheap lead round nose is better, (.22 short better than .22lr) and not many people eat the head.
Sorry, I'm going to need that translated for someone who knows nothing about guns.  :embarassed:  My dad could understand you, but he's in bed already.   

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #31 on: October 15, 2023, 11:52:59 pm »
Shouldn't have had fragments with the .22 unless you were shooting against cement or something.  Handgun or rifle? and yeah, I'm cheap too.  Cheap round for just about everything except PP.   :cheesy:
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #32 on: October 16, 2023, 12:07:48 am »
Probably used 22 snake or rat shot.  CCI makes a good one...  As iddee said, many rabbits have been killed with shotguns.. (cleaned, cooked, and ate...) lol   
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #33 on: October 16, 2023, 12:11:22 am »
Or you could just go in blazing like John Wayne with a colt 45... Rat or Rabbit. It will get the job done. 
:shocked: :wink: :cool:

https://youtu.be/deFC_pkzEj8?si=fTqf-89PEnjNikpT
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Online The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #34 on: October 16, 2023, 12:11:34 am »
Shouldn't have had fragments with the .22 unless you were shooting against cement or something.  Handgun or rifle?
Long rifle.  We have a .22 magnum too, which we use for the goats.  We had the rabbits in a bin on the ground up against a dirt bank.  I'll ask my dad what ammo he was using. 

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #35 on: October 16, 2023, 12:13:31 am »
Or you could just go in blazing like John Wayne with a colt 45... Rat or Rabbit. It will get the job done. 
:shocked: :wink: :cool:

https://youtu.be/deFC_pkzEj8?si=fTqf-89PEnjNikpT

You could serve a writ to a rabbit as well as a rat!!    :cheesy:

Online animal

• Queen Bee
« Reply #36 on: October 16, 2023, 01:11:15 am »
ok, long winded translation ...:cheesy:

Most modern .22 caliber rimfire rifles and pistols are chambered in .22 long rifle. A fair number are in .22 magnum. Rimfire means the primer material is in the rim of the case. The .22 part is the diameter of the bullet; as in 22 thousandths of an inch in diameter. The rest of the cartridge name refers to the length of the chamber (with those lengths referred to by a name rather than a measurement). The chamber is the part of the gun that the cartridge is in when it is fired. The bullet is the part of the cartridge that flies. The case is the part of the cartridge left behind after the bullet flies. In the "case" of .22s (sorry, couldn't resist the pun) the longer the chamber(and corresponding case length), the larger the powder charge, and the more power/velocity the round has. The lengths, starting with the shortest are : BB "cap", Short, Long, Long Rifle, and Magnum. "Long" never was popular and I'm pretty sure it's no longer in production. BB is almost useless except for particularly large and aggressive cockroaches, and I'm not sure if it's still in production.

Hollowpoint and round nose refers to the tip of the bullet itself. Round nose has solid rounded tip. Hollowpoint has a cavity in the center of the tip. The cavity weakens the tip of the bullet. Upon impact with a soft wet object, it collects matter inside it and the forward motion of the bullet (as it packs more stuff in the cavity) creates pressure that expands the tip. Overexpansion from too much power/velocity causes the bullet to fragment rather than take on a mushroom shape.  (When going through the air, the cavity also creates a pocket of pressurized air in front of the bullet to decrease resistance, but that's another subject, and applying to accuracy at a distance.)

I'm assuming he used a .22 Long Rifle (unless it was a .22 Magnum, if so OMG! no wonder!)
.22 Long Rifle is available in a fairly wide range of "powers" today ; ranging from the the lowest being Olympic grade hollowpoint match (exceedingly expensive and special order except for maybe 20 shops in the country) to cheap round nose ammo, and finally to very high velocity hollowpoints. (CCI stinger and yellowjacket are a couple of brand names of the latter). I was also assuming he would be using the cheap stuff from Walmart in the little cardboard box. That would be .22 lead round nose (specifying "lead" means the bullet does not have a jacket or metallic wash, just a dark gray oxidation layer).
If the box they came in was plastic with the cartridges individually hanging, they were probably overpowered for your purposes. Also, the longer the barrel, the higher the velocity/power (up to 20 or so inches).  .22 LR is already a bit overpowered anyway, and another reason for recommending .22 short out of a pistol. .22 LR Subsonic would have been a better choice than the cheapest walmart stuff if it's still made. (It's also quieter because it doesn't break the sound barrier out of most barrels)

Also, it is perfectly safe to use .22 short in a "long rifle" chambered gun. Semi autos usually will not cycle properly so they usually have to be loaded and ejected by hand (effectively turning it into an irritating single shot). Often the shorter round will not feed properly from the magazine and they usually do not produce enough gas to work the action.

NEVER put anything in a .22 magnum except .22 magnum. The rim size and case diameter is larger than the rest of the .22 rimfire family.

« Last Edit: October 16, 2023, 11:43:29 am by animal »

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #37 on: October 16, 2023, 06:19:11 am »
When rabbit or squirrel hunting I use .22s so I don[t have to put up with the shot.  Plus they are cheaper than shotgun shells.  I have not had bullet fragments as a problem.  I have not raised rabbits so I'm shooting them.  But I think I would try the same method I use on chickens.  If you get a good grip on the rabbits ears and reach into their mouth to the back of their throat you should be able to slice the carotid arteries and they should bleed out in seconds.  With chickens I hang them by the feet on the clothes line, and debrain them first by pushing a small knife into the groove in the roof of their mouth and twisting it.  Then I cut the carotids.  Animal gave a good basic overview of .22s.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #38 on: October 16, 2023, 02:36:05 pm »
I have used 22LR Hollow points from bull frogs up to beef, (bulls and steers),. Frogs the head shot, beef, the brain. They drop like a rock. No problems, no fragments, and no suffering.

Online animal

• Queen Bee
« Reply #39 on: October 16, 2023, 03:21:21 pm »
I have used 22LR Hollow points from bull frogs up to beef, (bulls and steers),. Frogs the head shot, beef, the brain. They drop like a rock. No problems, no fragments, and no suffering.
ditto... although there, but not the shooter, on the bull. and I've also seen people botch the shot.
 Usually a .22 hp isn't even going to expand. On the higher powered stuff they often will. My favorite used to be Stingers, especially body shots on turtles because the results were spectacular (or head shots on beaver.) Sometimes the exit was 2" in diameter on the turtles and there was definite fragmentation. I've also seen good expansion and sometimes fragmentation with them on wet newspaper.

Against a hard enough surface, the hollowpoint will collapse and penetrate without expansion... unless the surface is too hard and strong, then the bullet will often "splatter". Round nose will often splatter against steel as well.

On squirrels, I usually use .22 short because they're quieter and because I still have a bunch of 'em left from a great deal 30 years ago.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2023, 03:41:01 pm by animal »

anything