Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Dumped queenless hive---but.....  (Read 1736 times)

Offline gailmo

• House Bee
Dumped queenless hive---but.....
« on: June 04, 2011, 08:47:35 am »
I caught a swarm about a month ago and realized a few days later that I didn't get the queen.  I moved a frame of brood over to help them along....but the laying workers seem to be in charge and despite a few empty queen cells---no eggs and of course no queen.  Because I am leaving town for six weeks, I want to close down this unproductive hive.  So based on my reading here, yesterday I dumped the girls on the ground outside my two other established hives--and removed the hive they were in.  Well...this didn't work out exactly as I envisioned.  The bees all flew back to where their old hive was and now they are a mini-swarm--hanging on the gas meter outside our back door.  I need to get them moved--any advice on what my next step should be?

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
Re: Dumped queenless hive---but.....
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2011, 08:49:20 am »
Leave them.   Don't worry about them.

Offline VolunteerK9

• Super Bee
  • Gamecock fan in UT land.
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2011, 11:59:52 am »
A little late now, but why not a newspaper combine?

Offline gailmo

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2011, 01:37:16 pm »
I didn't do a newspaper combine because I was worried about the laying workers getting at the queen in the established hive.  Was that a crazy thought....?  Would laying workers in a newspaper combine create any problems for the established queen?

I talked to a seasoned beekeeper at the farmer's market today and he told me to put the bees in a nuke--with more eggs and brood.  He said that this would at least get them off of the gas meter by our back door.  If they manage to make a new queen--good deal.  IF not, then do a combine later in the summer when I return.

Offline gaucho10

• House Bee
    • Bees, Bats and Beyond
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2011, 03:45:52 pm »
Put them in a NUC and a frame of brood.  You might have to do this several times in order to succeed.
My favorite comedy program used to be Glenn Beck--The only thing is that after I heard the same joke over and over again it became BOOOORING.....

People who have inspired me throughout my life---Pee-wee Herman, Adolph Hitler, George W. Bush, Glenn Beck.
Notice I did not say they were people who I admire !!!

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2011, 05:22:04 pm »
sure there isn't a virgin in that clump? 
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

anything