Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Mason jar external beetle trap  (Read 9719 times)

Offline Bob Wilson

• Queen Bee
Re: Mason jar external beetle trap
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2019, 06:26:18 pm »
Jim. The crazy thing is that when I moved all the frames into the new box, I saw just 1 or 2 beetles, when there were lots the week before. Almost like they kicked them out.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2019, 07:47:52 am »
Jim. The crazy thing is that when I moved all the frames into the new box, I saw just 1 or 2 beetles, when there were lots the week before. Almost like they kicked them out.

This may not be good, did you look very closely in your empty comb. The beetles might have already escaped into your hive area. Most likely this is where you will find them. You may see one or two at first appearing and disappearing as they move up and down and as you keep observing, you realize your empty comb is infested. Ask me how I know. I learned this last season.
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2019, 07:52:53 am »
Quoting Joe D
?Bob, sorry I don't get on here very much, but the reason I quit using the pan in the TB hive, I have no proof but I think a man with ATT was going to run a telephone line close to my hives, this one was the closest and was sprayed all bees were dead in hive or on ground next to hive.  the next year a swarm moved in and within 2 days they were dead also.  I did away with the hive.  Like Jim said I never had trouble with the bees messing with the hardware cloth, # 8.    If I got a real bad case of shb's  I have in the past put a CD case or 2 in the hive.  put some butter flavored Crisco in the center, get some combat roach poison, it comes in a syringe, phimpronil probably  spelled wrong.  been a long time since I used it, but can help if they get bad.  You put a small line of it around the dab of Crisco.  The shbs love the Crisco will get in go through the roach poison and will die.  I did put a few extra holes in the side of the case with a hot ice pick. not big enough for a bee.  I just done this if had lots of shbs, until they were manageable.
Good luck to you and your bees,
Joe D?

Thanks Joe for taking the time of your in-depth post.
Phillip
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Seeb

• House Bee
« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2020, 01:55:29 pm »
Thanks for posting this Bob - I like it

Offline KellyBeeFriendly

• New Bee
« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2020, 10:04:16 am »
Bob - just posted this link on another thread. Aussie agrifutures funded this dude to do a study of bait traps for shb. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YHUmK5SlzXU

Thought it was interesting. I?d prefer to trap them outside the Hive first. However this does look pretty cool if you have them in your hive!

If it?s stupid and works it ain?t stupid. Don?t let anyone tell you different! Love to hear your experience and how it works for you :-)
Keep Calm and Keep Bees

Offline Bob Wilson

• Queen Bee
« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2020, 06:02:51 pm »
Thanks Kelly.
The jar traps seemed to work better than the paper towel/ swiffer traps, which I will also add later in the beetle season.
I really don't like the idea of putting poison inside my hives, so I avoid the CD bait traps.
I also got rid of my yard's compost pile, with all our fruit scraps from the kitchen. I read that really draws the beetles too.
I wonder about lure traps, whether for beetles of yellowjackets. It seems to me that that broadcasting the scent will draw them from miles around. I wonder if it might not be better to just kill the ones that get into the hive, rather than try to police a several mile square area.
It is a concept and practice I am still experimenting with.

Offline KellyBeeFriendly

• New Bee
« Reply #26 on: May 21, 2020, 04:43:51 am »
Bob, I also have issue with the poison- but found a CD trap arrangement which had the bait in center and Diatomaceous earth (DE) around the bait. That one I will experiment with I think as the new AZ configuration no has made the beetle blaster redundant (at at least more precarious). I have a slatted bottom board in the new configuration that has a Kmart baking tray under each hive. I used these last year too under the nuplas langs. I used oil and this year will try DE, as the rotting pollen and bugs in oil was just gross. So I?ll report back - DE might be a reusable and less messy option for your jars too!
Keep Calm and Keep Bees

Offline Bob Wilson

• Queen Bee
« Reply #27 on: May 21, 2020, 04:26:06 pm »
Yes. Let me know about how the diomtoaceous earth works for you. The oil does get nasty and fermented. I wonder if the earth is course or super fine? Will the beetles track it throughout the hive? Will it puff around while we put it in and out, and so get into the hives and kill bees?

Offline Absinthe

• New Bee
« Reply #28 on: June 05, 2020, 05:33:54 pm »
Here are some things to consider. If you have hardware cloth as the floor of your hive like in the screened bottom board, the beetles can get through it but the bees can't. You could have a solid board below this. This opens you to do things that you can't really do on a solid one. There is a video of a guy using one of these IPM screened floors and on the bottom below the screen he puts a piece of vinyl table cloth flanel side up. That has the same effect that the swiffer sheets do in that it tangles their feet and they die over time.

If you are using DE it is basically a vat of razor blades that slices their exoskeleton and they desicate and dry out, basically bleed to death, death by a thousand cuts.

If you try the boric acid in lard/crisco it is certainly a poison but I think the action is more of a caustic than toxic.

If you use outside the hive, the nematodes then you have a predator, that is kind of species specific and doesn't do harm to the bees. And atleast one of the nematode varieties actually attacks adult beetles. I am not sure if anyone are able to get nematodes to live in their eco-floors, but it is a question worth asking.

So on the CD traps, why not put some bait in the middle, and coat the whole side of the case with tanglefoot. The beetles can get in, but the bees can't. Likewise with your jar traps on the floor. If you are worried about your hardware cloth being larger so that the bees can get in it, or you are concerned that they may propilize it, how about tacking a shim over the top with a thin standoff perhaps a pop-rivet washer or a dime or a few pieces of playing card. The beetles can get underneath it, and the bees will happily chase them underneath it but can't follow.

These beetles are the devil. I had a good bit of luck using that NeverWet Flanges method. If you search NeverWet and Small Hive Beetle on youtube you will see his videos.

There is also another fellow that has changed his entrances to be what looks like pieces of pex pipe. The claim is that beetles can't hover like bees, and can't get in the pipes as well. He has some videos of that.

There is also the Guardian entrance reducer thing. I still don't understand what it is doing, but it looks like it does something in the video.

On Billy Davis' videos where he explains their hive design changes they have well fitting joints, and insect screen around the hive, which is open mesh "all the way to the ground" where there are nematodes. The beetles can't get in from under the hive, and there is a very small 2" by maybe 3/8" covered with a small robbing screen that makes a very defensible entrance thus reducing the adults entry opportunities. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dnqsV8b0CBc

I cringe to see FatbeeMan  staple poison to the bottom board of his hives, but his videos say it is effective. I really wouldn't want DE inside my hive either, but if my rack was screened to the ground and I knew my bees couldn't get under there, I wouldn't mind having both DE and borax all over the place under there. Take care of the stupid ants while we're at it :)

I am in the process of regrouping so thoughts of redesigning some of my equipment in the process are up there. I may abandon my racks for the type of stands that Billy describes in his video and maybe some other things. But I know that it is not a singular method to fix the SHB. But in any event you gotta do more than one thing. Though keeping a strong hive is a mantra I keep hearing.

BTW, you don't have to use used cooking oil, but it is an attractant. Also for other critters too :) But if it is close to your home, you can use soapy water. They will drown in that just as well.

Offline Bob Wilson

• Queen Bee
« Reply #29 on: June 05, 2020, 10:39:28 pm »
Thanks, Absinthe. Most of those ideas I have considered. Some I have discarded, such as the bait traps, and poison in or under the hive.
But a few others have got me thinking.
Thanks for the input. SHB are one of my biggest problems, here in mid-Georgia.

Offline Absinthe

• New Bee
« Reply #30 on: June 05, 2020, 11:29:23 pm »
Yeah, well they are no picnic here in the Piedmont area of North Carolina :)

Offline Bob Wilson

• Queen Bee
« Reply #31 on: August 02, 2020, 11:24:42 pm »
Mason jar beetle trap update.
They do a good job of beetle control. The bees chase the SHB to the corners, the beetle flee through the hardware cloth cover and drop into the mineral oil in the jar screwed from below.
HOWEVER... A PROBLEM.
In a bad rainstorm, water leaked into one of my hives. The water ran into and filled two of the jars. The oil floated on top of the water, and oil and water spilled upwards into the hive body. It killed a lot of bees, even though the queen and the brood were all above the mess.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2020, 06:25:47 pm by Bob Wilson »

Offline cao

• Super Bee
« Reply #32 on: August 31, 2020, 12:31:24 am »
If you don't screw the jar tight, it might let the rain water leak past.

Offline Bob Wilson

• Queen Bee
« Reply #33 on: August 31, 2020, 10:15:10 am »
I found the problem why water was getting in. Each of my horizontal hives has four plywood migratory tops. There are cracks where they butt together through which rain can enter. I was using the foil lined bubble wrap used for wrapping  hot water tanks to cover that and give insulation value. However, the bubbles make creases and crinkles, and let water seep underneath, so i laid my clear vinyl over the hives again and placed the bubble wrap on top of that. I never had water in the hives with the vinyl.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #34 on: August 31, 2020, 10:16:26 pm »
Just a thought. Our friend Paus comes up with some good ideas. One was a lining for tops. His idea was the use of discarded pool liners. This cut to the right diameter might be of service to you in waterproofing Bob. As Paus said, check with one of your local swimming pool companies, they are always replacing liners in pools.

Offline Bob Wilson

• Queen Bee
« Reply #35 on: August 31, 2020, 10:26:29 pm »
I found a thick clear vinyl at Walmart. They have it in 4 feet wide rolls and sell it by the yard in the fabric/sewing area for $2.98 a yard, if i remember right. It works beautifully at waterproofing. I thought the foil bubble wrap would do the same and also add insulation, but it is not smooth enough to seal the top. Nevertheless, I am sure the dual usage will work well.

Offline FloridaGardener

• Field Bee
« Reply #36 on: September 01, 2020, 05:05:04 pm »
Waterproofing:
The hive lids already have this pink R-5 foam, between the inner lid and the telescoping rim.

I was finding some bees would get washed off in sudden rainstorms because they won't go in ...probably I need slatted racks.  So I got more R-5 "Foamular One." for an overhang.  I weigh it down with a few surplus 1x2' tiles from our floor.  It does shed water well.
Yes it looks pretty "farmville," not urban chic.  But I like what it does.   

SHB: 1/8 mesh, oil trays + Dixie H700 towels.  I haven't lost a hive to SHB since I have put all 3 systems in place.   

With 3/4" putty knife in hand, I take out knock any empty/undrawn frames onto cardboard on my work table, and the putty knife is "absolutely smashing" - as the Brits say.  It's more precise and flexible than a hive tool.  If I clean up at least every 2 weeks, the bees "remember," and the cluster of bee guards in the inner lid release their captives one or two at a time, to The Smasher.  I pretend I'm playing Space Invaders with the bees.