Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Ant specimen!  (Read 9372 times)

Offline nepenthes

• Field Bee
  • Little honey bee in flight
    • Photo Album
Ant specimen!
« on: January 07, 2007, 07:48:32 pm »
Ant Specimen I got in a trade here is what I received. Pogonomyrmex is pretty much harvester ants that you would find in south west United States. they are pretty self explanatory.

Pogonomyrmex rugosus

This Species is actualy an army ant native that is in the USA. Just not as elaborate as the ones you would see in say South America.

Ask any questions you might have about any species.
"I have never wished to cater to the crowd, for what I know they do not approve, and what they approve I do not know." - Epicurus.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
Re: Ant specimen!
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2007, 11:38:24 pm »
Fabulous, all I really want to know though is what do you do with the ants?  Great day. cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline nepenthes

• Field Bee
    • Photo Album
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2007, 12:07:05 am »
I will be pinning them, like with little pins in a box with a glass cover so you can see inside? Kind of like a quick reference to compare specimen.
"I have never wished to cater to the crowd, for what I know they do not approve, and what they approve I do not know." - Epicurus.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2007, 08:48:47 am »
nepenthes, are you a collector?  How many species do you have, I presume that you have catalogued many.  Great day.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline nepenthes

• Field Bee
    • Photo Album
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2007, 10:00:25 am »
Right now? No I don't have many i am actually just getting into Collecting and Pinning Ant Specimen, these actually came from Mexico, I want to get native and non native ant fauna, just kind of to get a good idea of ant world species, I know if i ever visit Australia I'm setting aside about a weeks worth of looking for specimen.

I think I have about 12 Species of ant right now, I really cant wait for the spring so many cool things, Collecting ants, first attempt at Bee's collecting more Tetramorium Reproductives!

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2007, 10:06:55 am »
What fauna do the ants like to eat?  I imagine they are pretty particular.  Great day.  Cindi

Offline nepenthes

• Field Bee
    • Photo Album
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2007, 10:19:53 am »
Any thing really, Ants will eat any sugary substance, they eat other insects that are dead or alive for brood. Ill talk more about that in the one post later I really need to get going.

;)