Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: tis the season of canning!  (Read 11714 times)

Offline Better.to.Bee.than.not

• Field Bee
Re: tis the season of canning!
« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2014, 10:28:04 am »
Ya, Ball is in the business of canning, so they should know what they are talking about for sure.

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2014, 07:12:45 am »
ditto on the Ball blue book. Sold at Walmart.

www.pickyourown.org is a good website as well. or

http://www.culinaryartscollege.org/top-50-websites-for-learning-self-canning/

When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

• Field Bee
« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2014, 04:58:13 am »
Just so Everyone knows, you might want to check this out on july 16th:

http://ball.yourbrandlive.com/c/canningmyths/

Offline Joe D

• Super Bee
« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2014, 09:53:01 pm »
Coming up in couple weeks will be putting up fig preserves.  Have been eating the squash , tomatoes as they get ready.  Can pick peas(pink eyed purple hulls) this weekend and okra soon too.

Joe

Offline LaurieBee

• House Bee
  • I'm loving bees today. Interested in learning.
Re:
« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2014, 03:55:47 pm »
Does anyone have a recommendation for a pressure canner (size brand etc)?

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #25 on: July 11, 2014, 04:53:43 pm »
Don't know what size it is, but i use the one that holds 7 quart jars. I find them at flea markets for 10 to 25 dollars. They are Mirro or Presto. I have 7 or 8 of them.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

• Field Bee
« Reply #26 on: July 12, 2014, 02:47:38 am »
go buy the presto from walmarts. it is very cheap and works quite excellently. It isn't fancy, it isn't a gen 3 model, which are nice, but they cost a fortune. but it just plain works. either the 16 or the 23 quart model is excellent, and you'll get many years of use out of it.

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #27 on: July 13, 2014, 01:00:29 pm »
We have the presto's from wal mart as well. For a new beginner I highly recommend it. It has gages, pop up valve and a blow out plug to keep it from exploding. IMHO the older ones are more dangerous - I'm saying that and I've never owned the older ones.

Joe, I don't know which is better; pressure canned figs or dehydrated ones. LOVE me some figs.
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline Joe D

• Super Bee
« Reply #28 on: July 13, 2014, 03:45:17 pm »
Gary, we just pick , trim, wash, let them drain, pour some sugar on and sit for a couple of hours.  Then you cook them until they get to where you want them.  Have jars ready, fill, leaving room at the top of jar, put the lid on and tighten.  Nothing like a hot biscuit and some cold figs.

Joe

Offline LaurieBee

• House Bee
Re:
« Reply #29 on: July 13, 2014, 08:03:44 pm »
I dint think we have figs in this area. I'm not sure I've had figs except in Fig Newtons. If they're anything like dates I would love them.

• Field Bee
« Reply #30 on: July 14, 2014, 12:27:40 am »
not really like dates, and if you are used to fig newtons like the jelly seedy mixture in it, then fresh figs are just a difference of night and day. They are soft, sweet but not sickly sweet and luscious.
   They do not grow natively here in MI either, but we can grow them here, and I grow mine in containers. just picked and ate 5 of them last week actually. They were good. I keep them indoors in the winter and they grow like crazy over the winter just fine actually.

Offline LaurieBee

• House Bee
Re: Re: Re: tis the season of canning!
« Reply #31 on: July 14, 2014, 12:34:10 pm »
not really like dates, and if you are used to fig newtons like the jelly seedy mixture in it, then fresh figs are just a difference of night and day. They are soft, sweet but not sickly sweet and luscious.
   They do not grow natively here in MI either, but we can grow them here, and I grow mine in containers. just picked and ate 5 of them last week actually. They were good. I keep them indoors in the winter and they grow like crazy over the winter just fine actually.
I'll have to try and grow some. Where can I find a plant? Are they available on the internet?

• Field Bee
« Reply #32 on: July 14, 2014, 10:15:57 pm »
Everything is available on the Internet.

Offline LaurieBee

• House Bee
Re: Re: Re: tis the season of canning!
« Reply #33 on: July 15, 2014, 01:28:23 am »
Everything is available on the Internet.
Silly question.

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #34 on: July 16, 2014, 03:05:32 pm »
Lauriebee, I suggest you visit a nursery in your area that has been around for a while. Then ask them about which one to buy. You may have to put it in a big pot - I don't know. The big box stores are infamous for selling you plants that will live in your area but won't produce. Then we're left (wrongfully) with the conclusion we did something that caused it. That's why I suggest a local yocal. They are priceless.

Offline LaurieBee

• House Bee
Re:
« Reply #35 on: July 17, 2014, 01:05:29 am »
Thank you GSF. I know just the nursery. Great suggestion.

• Field Bee
« Reply #36 on: July 19, 2014, 07:06:53 am »
There are a lot of figs that will grow in your area fine. brown turkey, chicago, black mission,black jack, dauphine, etc.... I suggest Black Jack, the turkey and the chicago personally, they are more cold hardy. the others you will have to bring in for the winter, which isn't hard, or store in the garage/etc. But ya obviously doesn't hurt going to a nursery, but honestly do your homework first. local nurseries do NOT always sell plants that will grow in the area. for instance I went to a nursery this spring, weigans, and they were selling lemon trees as well as orange and lime trees. lots of them. The lime trees even had limes on them, because they force fruit them and then ship them up. But I live in MI...we 'can' grow such things with trickery, but they won't grow here normally. Good luck, and cuttings from figs take easily so no need to buy like 5 of the same type, imo. you can have them coming out of your ears in no time by propagation.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2014, 07:37:09 am by Better.to.Bee.than.not »

Offline LaurieBee

• House Bee
Re:
« Reply #37 on: July 19, 2014, 02:36:57 pm »
Thank you for all the great ideas.

anything