Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Black eyed peas  (Read 3326 times)

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
Black eyed peas
« on: May 19, 2014, 06:34:18 am »
I've been planting and raising a garden since I can remember. This year is a first for me trying black eyed peas. I planted them at the same time I've planted everything else. So far the germination rate is about 20 percent. I use the same planter to plant purple hulls. However it looks more like a planter issue. Any experience with these?
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline Joe D

• Super Bee
Re: Black eyed peas
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2014, 11:51:57 pm »
Back a few years ago I was late getting to the store and they were out of pink eye purple hull seed.  I got black eyed peas at the grocery store in the one pound packs and planted them.  They came up and grew just like the pink eyes.  When you pick them, they will have a little milder  flavor than when dry.  I also planted pinto beans that year.  Pick and snap just like the flat Italian beans.   My pink eyes have started coming up, got yellow squash fixin to start blooming, tomatoes about the size of a golf ball.  have planted zucchini  four times now and have about 6 plants.  Good luck Gary

Joe

Offline kenthold

• New Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2014, 10:14:05 am »
I've been planting peas the last few years and I only have a couple of plates for my planter.  Some of the seeds the way they are shaped do not work well with the plate, it seems to break some of the seeds.  I don't know if that could be part of the problem or not.

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2014, 06:58:55 am »
The first time I planted them I used a different plate. Then before I planted my purple hulls I swapped plates. The purple hulls came up great. The second time I planted I used the same plates that I used on the purple hulls. Still pretty poor. I told my wife it's not to late to plant all purple hulls. I'm leaning toward bad seeds right now.
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline kenthold

• New Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2014, 07:42:18 am »
I don't think it's too late either.  I have been planting a small u-pick patch here every year and as long as I get them in before Memorial Day I figure I'm alright.

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2014, 10:55:49 pm »
My bad on the black eye peas. I thought, well I actually didn't think much about it, but I thought that purple hull peas and black eye peas were about the same size. I was wrong. The black eye peas are larger. I replanted yesterday using purple hull peas. Before I started planting I cleaned my planter out. The last few I just turned the row wheel so they would fall out. It was then I noticed that a large portion of them were split in half. That's when I did the comparison.

anything