Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Beemaster's Swarm and Bee Remover Map  (Read 78908 times)

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
Beemaster's Swarm and Bee Remover Map
« on: February 15, 2009, 11:26:57 am »
The goal of the Swarm and Bee Removal Map is to provide a means for people with bee "issues" to find help near them.  In keeping with our non-commercial ideology the mapping system was developed to promote members that support our forum (participation-wise, NOT monetarily) and not just promote those who join just to get their information on the map.   In addition to promoting our members,  it is imperative that the information on the map stay current, and that members can update their information in a consistent and easy manner.

Any member can submit their information for the map.  But to show on the map,  the member must have at least 30 posts in the forum, have logged into the forum at least once in the last 30 days, and have verified their map information within the last year.

All of these criteria are maintained and monitored by the mapping application,  so if you do not meet one or more of these,  you will not show on the map.  But once you meet all the criteria, your information will automatically appear on the map without any additional actions required on your part.

Example 1: You only have 20 posts in the forum, but you want to be listed on the map and submit your information.  Once approved, you will not show on the map initially,  but once your post count hits 30,  your information will automatically show. 

Example 2: You are listed on the map and stop participating in the forum for a couple of months and your info falls off the map because you don't meet the "active in the last 30 days" criteria.   You return to the forum 3 months later.  Once you return,  your info will automatically appear on the map and the 30 day clock starts again.

Example 3: You are listed on the map, but fail to verify your information on a yearly basis.  Once the your info is verified and approved, you will appear on the map again.

Yearly Verification:
Yearly verification emails will be sent to the email you register with at the 12 month mark. a 2nd reminder will be sent 2 weeks later.  You will be removed from the map 2 weeks after the second notice if your information has not been verified.  It is important that you whitelist administrator@beemaster.com if you use a spam filter to guarantee you get the verification notices.

There are also different color markers on the map to identify a members standing within the forum

- Super member - Those members with more than 1500 posts
- Dedicated member - Those members with 500 - 1500 posts
- Active member - Those members with 30 - 499 posts

You can visit the map and add/update/remove your information by using "bee removal" in the menu bar or buy clicking here.

« Last Edit: August 13, 2015, 07:58:41 pm by Robo »
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
Re: Beemaster's Swarm and Bee Remover Map
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2009, 06:01:24 pm »
Great job Rob!

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2009, 10:09:49 pm »
This is really a fantastic update.  I applaud you for all the time and effort you put into the project.  I'm really impressed with the pop up when you put the cursor on a flag, nice big easily read letters with all pertinent info. 

Excellent.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline KONASDAD

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2009, 03:22:06 pm »
Robo- great job. I do have a question. Since NJ is small, how will people find all of the flags for individuals? If I am on the map, I cant find myself for example. I might just be ahead of your posting.....
"The more complex the Mind, the Greater the need for the simplicity of Play".

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2009, 07:48:16 pm »
Robo- great job. I do have a question. Since NJ is small, how will people find all of the flags for individuals? If I am on the map, I cant find myself for example. I might just be ahead of your posting.....

The map supports the normal google map controls for zoom/pan.  I picked the default zoom to fit the whole US since that seemed like a logical place to start.

NJ is no different than any other state as far as zoom level.  People will overlap if they live in close proximity to each other.  With a little zooming and panning,  folks can find all the beeks in their vicinity.

« Last Edit: March 17, 2009, 11:02:17 am by Robo »
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2009, 08:09:46 pm »
now, everybody find this page on google and hit it.  we want to get it moved to page 1.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline KONASDAD

• Super Bee
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2009, 11:36:57 am »
"People will overlap if they live in close proximity to each other."
Uhhh, thats all of NJ!

Thanx as usual and awesome job.
"The more complex the Mind, the Greater the need for the simplicity of Play".

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • It is my pleasure to bring the forums to you.
    • http://www.beemaster.com
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2009, 03:33:12 pm »
Konasdad:

Zoom in close and will quickly see that EVEN NEIGHBORS will spread apart on the map, but you are so right about our garden state - it could be just ONE BIG BUBBLE if you scroll back just a bit. It is an amazing map, I wonder if NEXT we'll have Google Type driving direction  X:X for all that Robo had done!

This has been a major pet project for him a very long time and it shows cause each time I see it, it is better and more informative with ease of operation to the member joining the list.

Great Job Robo - this is a great service to the members.

NJBeemaster my YOUTUBE Video Collection

Please enjoy the forum, and if it has helped you in any way, we hope that a small donation can be made to support our FULLY member supported forum. You will never see advertisements here, and that is because of the generous members who have made our forum possible. We are in our second decade as a beekeeping forum and all thanks to member support. At the top right of every page is a donations link. Please help if you can.

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2009, 06:06:43 pm »
Now let's make it real fun. Everyone start sending Robo the address of each removal and swarm you deal with and we make that map really interesting. Please note this idea is not endorsed by Robo.  :evil:

Sincerely,
Brendhan
The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2009, 07:44:05 pm »
Now let's make it real fun. Everyone start sending Robo the address of each removal and swarm you deal with and we make that map really interesting. Please note this idea is not endorsed by Robo.  :evil:

Sincerely,
Brendhan
:-D :-D :-D

Offline Highlandsfreedom

• House Bee
    • Organic gardening and Bee Services.
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2009, 12:35:06 am »
I like that idea of posting where the swarms were and how it all went down.  I bet after a few years if not sooner we would see patterns in the bee colonies.  I think that swarm catching is the greatest thing ever right now.  But I am also interested in queen rearing!! I second that idea of swarm maping.
To bee or not to bee that is the question I wake up to answer that every morning...

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2009, 08:02:29 am »
I like that idea of posting where the swarms were and how it all went down. 

On my todo list but definately won't happen this season, maybe next.

Can use a little brainstorming on the data to take.

I'm thinking:

Name
Type (swarm, cutout, trapout)
How long it was there
Link to detailed write-up

Offline Highlandsfreedom

• House Bee
    • Organic gardening and Bee Services.
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2009, 12:15:36 pm »
Maybe as a new bee I could do some grunt work for ya.  If that's possible... I'm up for the challenge.
To bee or not to bee that is the question I wake up to answer that every morning...

Offline nella

• House Bee
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2009, 01:45:06 pm »
It would be interesting if there was a way to tell if the swarm is a feral or domesticate. It would give a guide as to the wild bees in the area.

Offline applebwoi

• House Bee
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2009, 02:23:31 am »
Added my info last week and got the admin approval but my location wasn't on the map.  Then I saw the "conditions" required so I guess I'd better start posting to get up to the required 30.  I've been a member for over a year but guess I've just been a lurker since I'm so new at this and have seldom felt confident enought to make any suggestions or informed comments other than " I love beekeeping!".

Offline Natalie

• Queen Bee
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2009, 11:49:00 am »
You can participate in threads without having to give advice, have fun just having conversations with people.
Alof of this forum is about forming friendships with other members.
Asking questions will also help you learn and gain confidence.
You should also add your location to your profile.

Offline D Coates

• Queen Bee
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2010, 11:32:32 am »
I added my info a few months ago, how often is this updated?  I know one of the people listed in my area (KC, MO) has moved to upstate NY a year ago and I'm hoping to get added by the time Spring hits.  Is there something else I need to do?  I'm a little embarassed about looking pushy with this post, so please take it with a grain of salt.
Ninja, is not in the dictionary.  Well played Ninja's, well played...

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2010, 12:56:40 pm »
well!!  the nerve of you!!   :evil:

:-D i can't answer your update question, but also list yourself on places like cragislist, at your local feed store, etc.  there are other bee sites that will list you, so scout them out.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline D Coates

• Queen Bee
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2010, 01:58:06 pm »
I'm already on various sites but I figured the more the better ;).  I haven't done Craigslist for swarm removal yet but I'll try it this year.  I like this site and the way the map here works but it doesn't appear to be active.
Ninja, is not in the dictionary.  Well played Ninja's, well played...

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2010, 10:33:52 pm »
Eivindm usually does the updates,but he has a very busy work schedule and has a young family that i ma sure has to take it's priorities in his life.
You can post here to update:
http://forum.beemaster.com/removal/swarmmap.php
Between these two spots it will probably get it done.

anything