Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Tried to feed..... Started a robbing frenzy  (Read 1473 times)

Offline Boonersbad

• New Bee
Tried to feed..... Started a robbing frenzy
« on: October 23, 2011, 04:52:14 pm »
I have two small swarms I caught late this summer. I tried to add a wooden hive top feeders to each..... started a robbing frenzy. I removed the feeders,moved my hives to a new location, and reduced the entrances to 1-2 bees wide. Seems to have worked, as no more robbing Italians are milling around. So....

1. Should I put the feeders back on?

2. If I provide water, syrup, and pollen, Could I close up the smalles hive for a couple of days of un interupted feeding?

Thanks

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Re: Tried to feed..... Started a robbing frenzy
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2011, 07:22:55 pm »
How about stealing capped stores from the strong hive and giving it to the weak hives and then feed the strong hive...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline FRAMEshift

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2011, 08:03:32 pm »
How about stealing capped stores from the strong hive and giving it to the weak hives and then feed the strong hive...

This is a good idea but feeding strong hives can also set off robbing of the weak hives.  I suggest you feed the strong hives but also reduce the entrances on all the hives.  I think this is more of a problem as the bees sense the approach of winter.  I was able to top feed earlier in the year without robbing.
"You never can tell with bees."  --  Winnie-the-Pooh

Offline Hemlock

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2011, 08:59:30 pm »
Did you spill any syrup?  That'll set of a robing frenzy. 

I've not seen robing of a top feeder that wasn't on a weak colony unable to defend itself.  Is that colony doing alright?

Moved your hives!  i'll reduce or close the entrance.  Never heard of moving the hive for robing.   :shock:
Make Mead!

Offline AliciaH

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2011, 09:09:18 pm »
Boonersbad, I'd leave the entrance reducers on, maybe even reducing to a 1 bee width when you try again(you'll have to see how it goes).  Also you might consider switching to feeding with jars through an inner cover rather than using top feeders.  You reduce the amount of syrup exposed to the air that carries the scent of food to other hungry bees.

I would try and keep from moving the hives around, if possible, because you run the risk of losing foragers that you need - unless you're doing it on days where the bees aren't flying.

Also, I wouldn't lock them in unless you feel you have no other choice.  I have found that the foragers beat themselves up pretty good trying to find a way out and you lose bees that way, too.

Robbing is a pain. 

anything