Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Tips for operating a John Deere 450 dozer.  (Read 7090 times)

Offline jalentour

• Field Bee
Tips for operating a John Deere 450 dozer.
« on: October 31, 2017, 05:13:01 pm »
I picked up the neighbors 20 acres this summer and plan to rent a JD 450 to clear some trails and create some open space. The lot is mostly wooded with 30-50 year old trees, a lot of honey suckle and vines. Mostly it is steep, from the creek to the top it rises 600 feet in 1/4 mile. Three different ridge lines.
Has any got some tips for operating the 450. My neighbor says he will help out. Or advice to prep the area to cut, markers stump/tree removal incline, post dozer seeding?
My experience is limited to a skid steer and 50 hp Kubota.

Offline jalentour

• Field Bee
Re: Tips for operating a John Deere 450 dozer.
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2018, 10:34:34 pm »
Well,
I got the JD450.  It's the smallest dozier they have, at least at Art's Rental.  The blade is 8' wide.
The left joystick controls the forward and reverse as well as speed. 
The right joystick controls the blade angle,  basically left right and angles.
The foot pedal controls the speed.  The difficult part is that you press the foot pedal in to decelerate. 
On level ground everything was easy.  On the hill side all was difficult for me.
My neighbor came and helped out.  He was experienced with the dozier.   He cut some serious paths on steep hillside, I just cleaned up the mess.
I now have some very nice paths on steep hillside. 

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2018, 01:53:57 am »
Way to go JV.
I wouldn?t mind having one of them. My buddy brought his bulldozer over 2weeks Ava. He cleared out the cattle chute area and then before loading it Back up he pulled up a bunch of stumps.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2018, 08:33:02 am »
Go straight up and down the hill.  Do not go sideways if it is steep or you will shuck the track.  Then you got fun.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2018, 09:23:20 am »
Good info Ace. Thanks.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline jalentour

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2018, 05:17:10 pm »
Actually we did both.  It's 650' up in elevation from my creek to the house.  Some areas were pretty steep and we cut trails after we cleared, my woods are thick.  My neighbor was very fast, I was very slow.  But the trails are nice and worth the effort.  Mostly horizontal and a couple up and down the hillside but nothing straight due to the trees.
I was surprised at some of the things I found.  I picked a old horse shoe out of a tree, the bent nails were still in it.  Loads of bones, deer I suppose, deer stands, old mineral block pools.  I was concerned about skunks, didn't surprise any so it was a good weekend.

The kids (post high school age) will be here for the weekend to ride, so that will be nice.

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2021, 08:31:17 am »
Actually we did both.
Yeah but you have to flatten the grade so the edge of the blade will dig into the side of the hill.  What you did from one side will fill on the other so the dozer stays more level.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

anything