Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: winter wrap?  (Read 2516 times)

Offline TREBOR

• House Bee
    • The Cynical Bastards
winter wrap?
« on: October 18, 2005, 07:05:17 pm »
hey all,
 I was getting ready to wrap"em up for winter(yes I know I'm alittle late)
but I was wondering what weight of tar paper I should get, like 15lb, 30lb or do I need something alittle thicker?
 What weight tar paper do you use?
thanks all!
  and I hope all your bees are healthy

Offline bassman1977

• "King Bee"
  • Super Bee
winter wrap?
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2005, 07:48:26 pm »
I wouldn't say it's late.  Weather is still warm enough.  I just did mine on Sunday.  I used 30 pound roofing felt and used two layers, stapling the top layer once on top of each side and once on the bottom of each side.  Make sure it's nice and tight.  Especially on the front side.  I doubt it makes much difference, but it might help keep bees out of there and also keep other critters from making winter nests in between the layers.  I used 30 pound felt because that's what I happened to grab.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(''')_(''')

Offline newbee101

• House Bee
    • http://www.acmepainting.com
winter wrap?
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2005, 08:13:57 pm »
I bought the hive wraps from B&B Honey Farm. They look great, have not put them on yet. $4.25 for a 2 deep hive. I am going to use velcro strips so I can reuse them year after year. They are made of a layer of thick black plastic with foam insulation inside.
"To bee or not to bee"

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
winter wrap?
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2005, 08:41:56 am »
>I was getting ready to wrap"em up for winter(yes I know I'm alittle late)

Why is it late?  You could do it when winter really sets in if you like or not at all if you like.

>but I was wondering what weight of tar paper I should get, like 15lb, 30lb or do I need something alittle thicker?

15 works fine but is hard to reuse.  30 is easier to take off and save for next year.

>What weight tar paper do you use?

Hmmm...  Never used any.

Well, I've never used any on a BEEHIVE.  I've used hundreds of rolls on houses...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Dale

• New Bee
    • Northeastern PA Beekeeping
winter wrap?
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2005, 08:21:40 pm »
I won't wrap mine until it starts to stay cooler during the day. Right now in PA, it still hitting 65 degrees. I use thicker tarpaper, but that is what I had handy.  The main thing now, is to rid yourself of mites.  I am still thinking od OA treatments either this weekend or next, then I'll do a random sugar roll in November, weather permitting, to see what levels I'm at. If all is well, then I'll think about wrapping them.
Dale Richards
Dal-Col Apiaries
Drums, PA
www.hazleton.net/users/dalcol