Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Open air hive  (Read 2701 times)

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
Open air hive
« on: March 12, 2012, 01:12:07 pm »
Received a call for a swarm that was hanging in a tree, she said it was 6' off the ground, end up being 12'. I asked her how big it was and she said about the size of a basket ball. I asked her how long it had been there she said 2 months. :shock: My partner Jim went and checked it out and it was a beautiful football sized open air hive on a 3" diameter branch. That  evening after work we went back to get them. The bees were as calm as a can bee. I have a picture holding them up next to my face after I had cut the branch from the tree. The only problem we had was from cutting it and moving it the comb started falling off. the wax was so fresh that every time I tried to pick up a section it would colapes and start to fall. I could not work it, cut and shape it without resting it on something. I only got 1 sting on my finger tip and that was my fault for crushing her. After 15 minutes I couldn't even tell which finger it had been. The woman that called us took some videos and is supposed to send them to me. If she does, I will try to post them. we did not find the queen. I even checked the next morning and did not find her. there are lots of larva and eggs in every empty cell so if she did not make it they should be able to make a new one. We spent a lot of time searching the ground around where the comb dropped but could not find her.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline beyondthesidewalks

• House Bee
  • I need a shave
Re: Open air hive
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2012, 03:47:54 pm »
Open air hives are fun to work.  Look forward to seeing pics and videos if you share.  I bet the queen will turn up.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2012, 11:55:17 pm »
Open air hives are fun to work.  Look forward to seeing pics and videos if you share.  I bet the queen will turn up.
I hope so. To maintain an open air hive she must be a good queen.
I have not received the videos yet.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Country Heart

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2012, 03:09:21 am »

:pop:

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2012, 12:31:33 am »
Its a pity that new comb is so tough to transfer but sometimes you have no choice but to move them when you can. Good luck with these.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2012, 11:18:01 pm »
Thanks JP. I won't know how they are doing until Friday when I check on them at the farm.
Jim
Ben Franklin

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2012, 01:10:34 pm »
Ben Franklin

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2012, 11:40:18 pm »
Sweet pics.  Almost a shame to hive them after you could cut them down to take them home.    Thanks for posting.

Offline schawee

• Field Bee
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2012, 12:03:39 am »
i always like to see them.its amazing how they can survive in the open like that.thanks for posting the pics jim.      ........schawee
BEEKEEPER OF THE SWAMP

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2012, 10:36:25 pm »
I went into the hive yesterday, Saturday. They are very nice bees. I went in very slowly. The bees are very clingy. When I pulled the frames out, no smoke, they act like nothing had changed. Right away, I found eggs in every empty cell. Not solid patterns because there is not much comb space yet. I had to go through the frames twice to find the queen. I can never find a queen when she is laying an egg. There are no SHB in this hive. That is why I put them at the farm. They don't survive out there very well. In town, they are constantly flying into the hive. I am going to try to up load a few pictures of the hive/queen. Lets see if it works. Usually my son does the uploading. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

By sawdstmakr at 2012-03-18

It worked!
Can you see the queen in the 3 direct frame pictures.
Jim
Ben Franklin