Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Gold prospecting using a metal detector  (Read 50477 times)

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
Re: Gold prospecting using a metal detector
« Reply #260 on: March 05, 2024, 09:10:11 pm »
Thanks for the video Les. Makes me want to fly down and enjoy a day with you!

Phillip
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Lesgold

• Queen Bee
« Reply #261 on: March 06, 2024, 02:46:35 am »
You would be welcome any time Phillip.

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #262 on: March 06, 2024, 06:03:45 am »
Three reasons it won't be just a day.
1) it takes too long to only spend a day
2) it costs too much to only spend a day
3) it is far to beautiful and the weather too nice to only spend a day
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #263 on: March 06, 2024, 12:06:30 pm »
You would be welcome any time Phillip.
Three reasons it won't be just a day.
1) it takes too long to only spend a day
2) it costs too much to only spend a day
3) it is far to beautiful and the weather too nice to only spend a day

Mr Bush; A 'day' was used as a 'figure of speech'... Many from the South were taught certain manners. One was 'never invite yourself to someone else's gathering'. Even so, Les' video was so interesting; I broke that rule and 'timidly invited myself' to Les' gathering using the term 'for a day' hoping to communicate I would like to tag along in a non-intruding manner, while acknowledging even 'a day' would be very appreciated... Thanks for the invite Les!!! 

Phillip

« Last Edit: March 06, 2024, 01:41:03 pm by Ben Framed »
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #264 on: March 09, 2024, 06:53:35 pm »
Les I think you and others might like this short clip!

https://youtube.com/shorts/3Bn5G0LfHHo?si=nnoLanTv56J62XtP

Offline Lesgold

• Queen Bee
« Reply #265 on: March 09, 2024, 07:02:28 pm »
I always laugh at these set up clips. If it was that easy, gold would be worthless.

Online Terri Yaki

• Super Bee
« Reply #266 on: March 09, 2024, 08:26:51 pm »
I always laugh at these set up clips. If it was that easy, gold would be worthless.
Do you mean that you don't find big nuggets like that just laying around all the time? Why...I'm shocked.

« Last Edit: March 13, 2024, 08:00:15 am by Ben Framed »

Offline Lesgold

• Queen Bee
« Reply #267 on: March 13, 2024, 06:21:27 am »
Worked hard all day for a bunch of small pieces. Not a lot of weight but it sure helps when the price of gold is high.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #268 on: March 13, 2024, 07:58:37 am »
Do you mean that you don't find big nuggets like that just laying around all the time? Why...I'm shocked.

Food for thought and just for fun:
Is it possible, there are areas in the world where gold can still be found as shown in the video? Such observations were described during the hay-day of the California Gold Rush, as well as The Alaskan Gold Rush.  I (suspect) Antarctica may be one of those places.

Could there (still be gold), left waiting in other parts of the world above sea level even today?
Such a find and its location would be a grand happening if stumbled upon! lol  :grin: :cheesy: :wink:
Wouldn?t it be wise to keep such a find a hush hush secret IF the prospector has learned anything from the history of such discoveries?  lol  :wink: :grin:

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #269 on: March 13, 2024, 08:14:36 am »
Worked hard all day for a bunch of small pieces. Not a lot of weight but it sure helps when the price of gold is high.

Never the less, good find Les!

Phillip

Online Terri Yaki

• Super Bee
« Reply #270 on: March 13, 2024, 08:37:20 am »
Food for thought and just for fun:
Is it possible, there are areas in the world where gold can still be found as shown in the video? Such observations were described during the hay-day of the California Gold Rush, as well as The Alaskan Gold Rush.  I (suspect) Antarctica may be one of those places.

Could there (still be gold), left waiting in other parts of the world above sea level even today?
Such a find and its location would be a grand happening if stumbled upon! lol  :grin: :cheesy: :wink:
Wouldn?t it be wise to keep such a find a hush hush secret IF the prospector has learned anything from the history of such discoveries?  lol  :wink: :grin:
This reminds me of a song from my yute by an obscure band named New Riders of the Purple Sage. I always had an odd taste in music and this was one of the first bands I got into back then. Little known fact about them is that Gerry Garcia was playing with them and The Dead early in his career and made the right choice to go with The Dead. I was never a big Dead fan but most of my buddies were. Anyhow...There is a live version of this song that I was unable to find where he starts out by talking about how one guy discovered Sutter's Mill and told someone, who told someone else, who told someone else...and you know how that goes.

Here's the tune, hope ya like it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PARdbpFUa3U

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #271 on: March 13, 2024, 09:05:41 am »
It's geology, but a lot of locations have small amounts of gold if you pan them.  I had a friend who hung out with a prospector who had a lot of his fellow prospectors over for supper while my friend was their.  They went and got a pan full of gravel from the river and dumped it on the table and the prospectors all sorted it out.  There were garnets, gold, etc.  The results were worth a few dollars, but the amount of work vs the value was such that you could make a little money every day if you wanted to do the work, but you could find a job and make more.  One of the prospectors had a silver mine with a vein in it and he was following the vein through hard rock and would go work in it whenever he needed a little cash.  Places with gold will probably ALWAYS have some gold there.  It's just less and less as people work them.  But sometimes the amount gets refreshed by more soil getting washed out by a good rain.  Very few have enough to make a living, but some do.  My location there really isn't any because of the geology again.  What you find here is a lot of limestone and some very nice flint nodules.  The American Indians were quarrying the flint for the last few millennia.  The guy who built my house was in California during the gold rush and he and his friends were making about $200 a day sluicing all the dirt in the area.  Most of the work was digging ditches to move the water and shoveling dirt. They never completely ran out of gold in any given spot, but it would reach the point where it was more profitable to move somewhere else.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
-------------------

Online Terri Yaki

• Super Bee
« Reply #272 on: March 13, 2024, 09:18:23 am »
I am a loyal follower of the Gold Rush series on Discovery and I find everything about it interesting. The geology, the finding of Wooly Mammoth tusks in the perma-frost, the diligence of the gold miner, all of it. The size of the mines seems larger than what they portray in the show, maybe for the optics of the process to those who oppose it. I find it amazing at how much dirt they process to get such a small amount of gold and what those old timers did to get the gold out in primitive conditions.

Offline Lesgold

• Queen Bee
« Reply #273 on: March 13, 2024, 04:25:57 pm »
As Michael said earlier, floods turn over gravel and move material around. Banks get eroded and more material is washed into replenish the system. Much of the gold found recently was due to the two floods that occurred late last year.

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #274 on: March 13, 2024, 07:08:00 pm »
I am hoping this will be a fun year in CA after all the rain and the many feet of snow.  I once had a friend who panned regularly that few places don't have gold.  It's just a matter of whether or not there is enough to bother with.

Last year when I went to the Bear River to pan and found my one flake, there were several guys out there working upriver.  I noticed that ever bolder along the shore had been dug out by people hunting for gold after the high water of the winter before.

Les is my inspiration, but reality tells me that I'll be lucky to find just a bit when I go  :grin:

Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #275 on: March 14, 2024, 05:21:18 am »
The way I see it, panning for gold is the same addiction and the same dopamine  rush as gambling except instead of getting poorer, you get to spend time outdoors and occasionally you get a little richer.  Or like fishing.  Again, that dopamine rush, but you're not giving your money away to get it.
-------------------

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #276 on: March 14, 2024, 11:11:42 am »
you get to spend time outdoors and occasionally you get a little richer.  Or like fishing.

I do better fishing!  But you are right.  There may have been people out there trying to get rich, but I just enjoyed bruising my knees kneeling on boulders and trying not to fall into the river   :grin:
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Lesgold

• Queen Bee
« Reply #277 on: March 14, 2024, 04:18:14 pm »
That sounds about right. I do a lot of fishing off the beach or out of my boat. If you could imagine the rush of hooking and fighting a big fish and multiply the feeling by 100, that would get you close to how you feel when you find a nice piece of gold. Gold fever is an incurable disease.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #278 on: March 15, 2024, 12:02:41 am »
If gold was in my area I would probably give searching for it a go..

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #279 on: March 15, 2024, 07:36:41 am »
What do you all think about the information in this short clip? Legitimate?

https://youtube.com/shorts/Ky7PU6QnGp8?si=qDbCVjfQJenrwnVC

anything