Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Danger of Fertilizer??  (Read 2008 times)

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
Danger of Fertilizer??
« on: April 25, 2008, 07:28:25 pm »
A new thing to think about. My friend (where I keep my bees) was throwing fertilizer by the handfuls onto all the flower beds the other day because he thought it might rain and wanted to take advantage of this. Well I became alarmed when I saw this. I read the bag and it said the fertilizer is supposed to go onto the ground and it did not say anything about spreading it onto the flower bushes.

Well I told my friend that I thought he was doing something that might be dangerous to the bees. He said OK, I will stop.

What do you think?  Is this dangerous for the bees??

Annette

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Danger of Fertilizer??
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2008, 07:59:39 pm »
fertilizer should not be a problem.  even ammonium nitrate fertilizer, which can be an irritant, should not bother the bees.  they would just avoid it.  it will wash down with rain or watering.

some fertilizers that are for shrubs and roses have a systemic insecticide in them.

read the label.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline HAB

• HEAVENLY BEEKEEPER
  • Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2008, 08:37:23 pm »
Standard fertilizer shouldn't be a problem.  Many have weed killer and insecticides for control of lawn pests.  That would be very toxic. :'(
Here we use compost as much as possible.  If its short we'll buy bulk commercial (8-8-8, 20-5-5 etc.) and have it blended as needed.  With Ammonium Sulfate closing in on $600.00 a ton we're not buying anything not absolutely required. :?

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2008, 10:46:13 pm »
This was just regular fertilizer, no insecticide on label.

Thanks for the help. So should I mention to him that he can broadcast as much as he wants?? I really think he should follow the label and spread it on the ground. What do you think?? I want him to happy of course, as it is his property.

Thanks
Annette

Offline jimmy

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2008, 11:29:44 pm »
The key 3 ingredients in commercial fertilizers are N P K. N=nitrogen~~
P=phosphate K=potash

The most active in a short period of time is the nitrogen. However it dissipates very quickly .Holding it in your hand causes it to melt. Dew usually causes it to melt very quickly .The strong smell would probably keep the bees away from it for a day or so.

The other ingredients phosphate and potash are slow acting and in my opinion will not affect your bees in any way.

I am a ole time farmer,not an expert. Please don't shoot the messenger!!!!!

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2008, 11:33:26 pm »
Yes, these were the exact ingredients I read, I thank you so much for the information

Annette

anything