Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Smell's like a bad guy  (Read 1820 times)

Offline Zosavachia

• Brood
Smell's like a bad guy
« on: July 12, 2020, 06:15:18 pm »
hi folks,

I'm actually not a beekeeper. But I do have a question for you all and a plea for help. First of all, I've never had any bad interactions with bees. I've been practically engulfed in a swarm with my dog and not one sting. I could walk through a field with bees buzzing around, no problem. However, about 3 years ago (I'm 44) I had my first sting, ever. A beekeeper had put 5 beehives behind my back fence. For some reason, these bees just weren't very nice. We couldn't go outside and play nor cut my own yard. After that sting, my whole life has changed. Everywhere I go, whether it's outside on my yard, or hundreds of miles away, I get chased indoors by an angry bee. Here's a list of things I tried to fix this:

- Shaved facial hair
- Wore only white (not quite Colonel Sanders but hey I tried it)
- Changed Deodorant, shampoo, body wash - I even got the kind hunters use to kill off scent (I even tried using rubbing alcohol and peroxide as deodorant)
- Got contacts instead of glasses
- Sprayed myself with all sorts of bug spray
- Sprayed my yard and house (this is before I saw that even out of my property they hated me)
- Drank a little Apple Cider Vinegar before going outside
- Chewed Mint gum whenever outside
- I ramped up the dental care too
- Cut 95% of any sugar, onions, garlic from my diet
- Cleaned my ears with Peroxide

The only thing that's worked thus far, is using Lemon Essential Oil. However, surely there is a reason my odor makes them upset. I don't like the idea of having to have an oil put on myself to keep them away from me. I would prefer to be able to walk about without an X Y or Z as my crutch to be outside.

I am convinced it is me they have a problem with, because everyone else is ignored.

My guess is that it's my breath. Any other ideas?

Thanks all

- Zos

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
Re: Smell's like a bad guy
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2020, 07:22:07 pm »
Welcome.  That is very odd to say the least.  Is it only honey bees that seem attracted to you, or is it other bees and wasps as well? 
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2020, 08:53:08 pm »
Have you had any kidney or liver problems that had to be medicated about that same time? A friend had some treatments done and the doctor said he would always have problems with bees after that. He had to give up beekeeping because of it
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline Zosavachia

• Brood
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2020, 11:08:40 pm »
@The15thMember: Only bees. Wasps, hornets, yellow-jackets have no issues with me and vice versa. Not all bees though. The "honeybees" with the brighter yellow stripes leave me alone. I had one of those hang out with me once while I was at a store (fell asleep on my shoulder), and then I gently nudged it to move along when I was about to drive off. These look a little smaller. But not like the smaller Texas native ones. Bumble bees are pretty docile around me too. MY GUESS, is an African strain in some of these. (we have a lot of this in Texas) They look like the European ones. The beekeeper that set up the hives behind me told that's what his were. He moved them after his hives became too hot. The day after, because he moved them incorrectly, they came back the next day agitated, attacked my dog, neighbors, myself.. was terrible.

@iddee: Perhaps it is a liver issue. I've become unhealthy since that sting, I'm now on my way back to better health. I know that liver issues can create a certain acetone/banana breath. I'll follow up with my doctor. I'd hate to give up wine if my liver is acting up though. :)

anything