Welcome, Guest

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10
GENERAL BEEKEEPING - MAIN POSTING FORUM. / Re: Swarm Catching
« Last post by The15thMember on May 26, 2024, 11:00:55 pm »
Okay good, they definitely didn't need the medium.  So they are on, what, 4 frames?  Don't be surprised if it takes them a little while to catch up to the nuc.  I'd get back in there tomorrow and try to correct the poorly drawn comb.  It'll only get worse the longer you leave it.
« Last post by Terri Yaki on May 26, 2024, 10:33:07 pm »
OK, thanks. There is a part II but there's nothing of value in it. It's just me pulling the bottom box out from under them. I took out the box of foundationless frames for the next trap setting. They're now all tucked into their single deep. I'm thinking about melting some wax and painting it onto the foundation.
« Last post by Ben Framed on May 26, 2024, 09:47:43 pm »
> but I'd probably cut that out and rubber band it into your foundationless frames.
 Also, I'm not sure that a single popsicle stick is enough of a starter strip.  Starter strips generally are the same length as the top bar, so that wherever they decide to start there is a strip, since they don't always start in the center of the frame.   

Totally agreed with The15thMember.

Phillip

« Last post by The15thMember on May 26, 2024, 09:44:01 pm »
Was there a part II?  What did the rest of the bottom box look like?  I don't have experience dealing with wonky comb on foundation, but I'd probably cut that out and rubber band it into your foundationless frames.  I'm not sure how to encourage them to accept the foundation though.  Also, I'm not sure that a single popsicle stick is enough of a starter strip.  Starter strips generally are the same length as the top bar, so that wherever they decide to start there is a strip, since they don't always start in the center of the frame.   
« Last post by Terri Yaki on May 26, 2024, 06:53:47 pm »
And here is my swarm trap 1 week inspection. It looks kind of strange in there to me. Wonky comb, I guess what comb is there is full of what they brought with them. I have a hard time seeing eggs through the veil but I think there are some but not as many as I had expected. Maybe I'm expecting too much. It looks like they need to get with it and build more comb. And the proprietor needs to get some of his junk out of the way. :cheesy:

https://rumble.com/v4xljf6-may-26-2024-swarm-trap-inspection-part-i.html
GENERAL BEEKEEPING - MAIN POSTING FORUM. / Re: Follow the Bloom - 2024
« Last post by The15thMember on May 26, 2024, 03:06:22 pm »
I just did some investigating with the fallen tulip poplar flowers in my apiary and from my trees at least the pollen is not orange.  It's very light, I'd call it cream colored, maybe a very light yellow.   
GENERAL BEEKEEPING - MAIN POSTING FORUM. / Re: splits
« Last post by The15thMember on May 26, 2024, 01:29:00 pm »
Our cars are all covered with pollen but I don't know where it's from or if it's even anything they can use. The only thing we have here that I can think of is the arborvitae and I don't know if that's a pollen that they can use.
That pollen that gets all over everything and makes people sneeze is almost always from wind pollenated plants, around here the spring pollen explosion is the pines.  The bees can use that pollen, but it's not very high in nutrition and they will typically collected something else if it's available. 
« Last post by The15thMember on May 26, 2024, 01:26:00 pm »
Could be a lot of reasons for that, and your first inspection will tell you a lot.
My question asking Terri about a flow in his area was asked with comb building in mind as well as any other reasons he might have for feeding (at this time). It seems reasonable to assume Terri does have a flow going at this time of year? Many beekeepers do. But just in case he may not have a flow in his area, and if he is in a dearth, then sure, help then. If he is in a flow it is not necessary. But if it makes him feel better then go for it especially since he does not plan to seek honey.  I do think since he is new to beekeeping and serious about learning as he is, the heads up about adulterated honey might be of interest to him.
And perhaps not of interest to him alone, the information might be interesting to other newer members as well as some of our thousands of guest.

quote;
Terri I watched your vid. I have a question, why are you continuing to feed? They seem to be well established and your flow is on?

Phillip
Somehow I got in my mind that they used it to build comb but I can't pinpoint where I got that Idea. Those jars are about empty and will be empty today and will not get refilled.
I think that's a wise choice at this point.  Bees will only draw comb when there is a flow on, so by feeding them when they arrived, you mimicked a flow to get them going.  But now that they have 2 boxes basically drawn, they have enough comb to do what they need to do with the naturally cycle of your flows.  So they will now draw when there is a flow, but not draw when there is a dearth.  Does that make sense? 

I was just giving the upfront and honest answer.  :grin: I don't anticipate honey this year so if I get any to steal, I'll feel lucky. If I do, I won't be selling any and I made sugar water as a kid so I'd probably like sugar honey just the same. Is there much of a difference in taste between sugar honey and nectar honey?
I haven't eating any significant quantity of stored syrup (for obvious reasons), but I'd imagine it would have hardly any flavor.  It's the nectar that determines the flavor of the honey.  Stored syrup is not honey, either factually or legally.  Adulterated honey, honey with some syrup mixed in, is also not legally honey, but it probably wouldn't be noticeably different from pure honey (which is why it ends up on grocery store shelves far too often).         
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10
anything