Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Forced Abscond and the Queen  (Read 960 times)

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
Forced Abscond and the Queen
« on: February 20, 2020, 08:18:46 am »
During a hard time of nature such as a forced abscond, (as a SHB take over for one example), does  the queen bee leave with the rest of the refugees, or does she go down in doom, (with the ship)?

« Last Edit: February 20, 2020, 08:31:12 am by Ben Framed »
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Forced Abscond and the Queen
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2020, 10:59:56 am »
The reason the bees leave is to give the hive a chance of surviving. There only chance is if they have a queen with them. So yes, she goes with them.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline AR Beekeeper

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2020, 11:08:58 am »
The only abscond I have ever witnessed I assume had the queen with it.  It clustered in a tree just as a swarm does.  When I checked the hive it left, it had no adult bees and only a little sealed brood, no queen cells were found.  There was food on the frames in the brood nest and a partially filled medium super.

Offline CoolBees

• Queen Bee
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2020, 01:16:45 pm »
In my first couple yrs beeking, I experienced several absconds. I never saw the queen left behind - but she may have already been dead - that part I don't know.

There were always some bees left behind, as well as a partial brood nest, and all the stores. But never the queen - that I saw.

I haven't had an abscond in 3 yrs now.
You cannot permanently help men by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves - Abraham Lincoln

anything