Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Barometric pressure and honeybees?  (Read 4239 times)

Offline van from Arkansas

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
Barometric pressure and honeybees?
« on: February 17, 2020, 08:01:52 pm »
What effects does barometric pressure have on honey bees.  I ask with today?s confusing observation as follows:

The barometer is falling in my area this day and I noticed my honeybees were not flying much to my surprise.  Temperature was steady this day at 54-56F all day, cloudy, high humidity, calm wind, falling barometer.  Yesterday, sunny, calm, high 56F, steady barometer and my bees were very active, like congestion at the entrance.  I was expecting my bees to be very active this day as pollen is just beginning to appear.

Only difference between active bees yesterday and slow activity today is sunny yesterday  with steady barometer vrs falling barometer, cloudy today.  I realize the bees adore sunshine but what about the barometer?

Health to your bees.
Van

I will add, I have 15 hives, all slow activity today.  I talked with a friend, 40 miles south, about 100 hives who also noticed slow activity on the entrance today.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2020, 08:11:59 pm by van from Arkansas »
I have been around bees a long time, since birth.  I am a hobbyist so my answers often reflect this fact.  I concentrate on genetics, raise my own queens by wet graft, nicot, with natural or II breeding.  I do not sell queens, I will give queens  for free but no shipping.

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
Re: Barometric pressure and honeybees?
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2020, 08:48:42 pm »
From what I've read, bees (as well as many other animals) are sensitive to barometric pressure.  Falling barometric pressure is often associated with bad weather, so with that and the cloudy skies they were probably concerned about a storm.   
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline Nock

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2020, 09:01:34 pm »
I?d say they are just like other animals. They know what?s coming. Deer are the same way. One to two days before a front they will move/feed more than the day of. Pressure also effects fish as well.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2020, 10:50:09 pm »
I agree. The worst beating I ever took was when I was in a calm hive and a thunderstorm came in fast and I took numerous stings tomy face. My face was all swelled up. As a thunder storm comes in, the barometric pressure drops.
I have seen all of my bees come rushing home and storm all of the entrances. I knew something was up so I looked up and sure enough a bad storm was coming in.
Bees definitely detect atmospheric pressure change.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Bob Wilson

• Queen Bee
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2020, 11:26:38 pm »
Perhaps the Weather Channel could benefit from keeping a hive or two in their parking lot. 😉

Offline Nock

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2020, 08:45:19 am »
Yes they would.

Offline incognito

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2020, 09:12:57 am »
The Solunar theory could be a factor comparing otherwise similar weather days.

https://youtu.be/OIaZMHJrsYI
Tom

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2020, 11:36:30 am »
In spring, thunderstorms bring swarm calls.   :grin:
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline JurassicApiary

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2021, 04:33:04 pm »
Perhaps the Weather Channel could benefit from keeping a hive or two in their parking lot. 😉

HAHAHA, indeed they could, Bob!   :wink:

Offline beesnweeds

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2021, 12:51:52 pm »
One of the interesting observations about storms rolling in fast that I noticed is that foragers waste no time getting back to their hive.  Are they just guessing and drifting like crazy or are they getting back to the hive they belong to?  To me it looks like they know exactly where they are going, so I often wonder how much drifting is actually taking place.  Probably not as much as we are lead to believe by research.  This summer watch your hives as a fast moving storm rolls in and see what you think. 
Everyone loves a worker.... until its laying.

Offline JurassicApiary

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2021, 04:01:47 pm »
When I've gone out to watch hives during smaller rain events such as a 20-30 minute shower which are frequent where I live, I have found that in most instances foragers were still coming AND GOING from hives.  (I have also gone out in heavy rains to observe and activity is ceased as well). Perhaps they can distinguish via Barometric pressure the intensity of the foul weather approaching (the lower pressure typically the worse the weather) and if they determine its a minimal event by a minimal drop in pressure then they just keep going and brave it as I see them...

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2021, 07:17:05 pm »
Years ago l worked out to my Jacksonville barn and on the way noticed massive amounts of bees returning to all of the hives. I immediately thought it must be going to rain. I looked up and sure enough a large thunderstorm was almost over head. Bees definitely can detect when it is going to storm.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline emeramocco

• Brood
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2022, 06:26:38 am »
Atmospheric pressure affects the well-being and activity of insects. Have you noticed that you see insects near the ground more often when the pressure drops? Because it's easier for them to move close to the ground. I think humidity also affects your bees' ability to fly and collect nectar from flowers. Try searching for information about this on mygarden101.com. I'm sure there's an article on atmospheric pressure and how it affects plants, animals, and insects. I often resort to reading articles and tips from this resource for farmers and gardeners. The barometer dropped, and the humidity rose. Why do you think that bees come to fly in a thunderstorm and a strong wind?
« Last Edit: October 21, 2022, 09:42:08 am by emeramocco »

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2022, 06:31:39 am »
emeramocco welcome to Beemaster!

Phillip
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2022, 01:57:56 pm »
If the barometer is falling fast and the foragers are out, they will quite suddenly all return home.  If it's falling before they go out, they will stay home.  On the other hand I've often seen them flying in a slight drizzle when the barometer is staying steady.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline max2

• Queen Bee
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2022, 11:03:37 pm »
If the barometer is falling fast and the foragers are out, they will quite suddenly all return home.  If it's falling before they go out, they will stay home.  On the other hand I've often seen them flying in a slight drizzle when the barometer is staying steady.

We had some heavy rain here  but mostly light constant rain.
It is fairly mild - 22C.
About 1/2 of my hives have bees flying and bees hanging out.

I can't recall seeing any bearding on a rainy day.
Any explanation? There was a flow on before this rain got to us.
It could be that they are a bit crowded. i will check when the rain passes.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2022, 09:59:38 pm »
Max,
Bearding is caused by the hive being too hot. Hives are not normally hot when it?s raining.
While removing cut outs I have seen bees bearded in the hive when it is cool out side.
Jim Altmiller
Ben Franklin

Offline max2

• Queen Bee
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2022, 11:15:26 pm »
Thanks, Jim.
It is definitely NOT hot here right now.
I hope/wish for some sun in the next few days so that I can have a look.
I found it interesting that the bees were flying - not a lot but a surprising number, during the rainy period. Not heavy rain but more than a drizzle.
We had a good flow on BEFORE the rain and i wonder if they did bring in more than i expected.

never a dull moment here.