Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Green Mantidfly  (Read 2975 times)

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
Green Mantidfly
« on: April 19, 2023, 04:34:50 pm »
My sister found one of these yesterday.  I wouldn't have known what it was if I hadn't just read about them the previous day in an issue of 2 Million Blossoms (RIP  :sad:).  It's a green mantidfly.  They look like little praying mantises with lacewing wings, and they ambush hunt with their raptorial forelegs just like mantises do.  They aren't mantises though, they are actually in the same order as lacewings, dobsonflies, ant-lions, and such.  Anyone else ever seen one?

I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Green Mantidfly
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2023, 09:46:59 pm »
Reagan,
I didn?t even know that they existed.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Re: Green Mantidfly
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2023, 06:14:17 am »
I have never seen one and this is the first I have heard of them.  Very interesting.  I'm sure they are good to have around.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin