Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Hello from the sunny side of Alps-Slovenia  (Read 3886 times)

Offline Mici

• Super Bee
  • tougher than rock
    • http://www.carantha.net/carantha_table_of_contents.htm
Hello from the sunny side of Alps-Slovenia
« on: August 05, 2006, 06:34:32 am »
Hi!
this is my first year as a beekeeper and i must say it's pretty fun. although i never planned on having bees and it was my brothers "enthusiasm" when we bought them. somehow he's not into working with them so i took the role of a beekeeper. i started with 2 hives, in a week or so, the local beekeeper gave me a swarm which i helped him to catch (sat on a very high tree, 30 feet or so). and two weeks later a good beekeeper gave me 2 more swarms although he got to know me only from a forum.

i'm 18 years old and still a student. my name is Matic and i come from a small village. i'll post a picture so you can see how beautiful the valley in which i live is, actually it's a karst field. if anyone has ANYKIND of question, just ask.

Greetings!

NOTE: the water isn't there the whole year.

Offline eivindm

• Global Moderator
  • Field Bee
    • Eivind's page
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2006, 07:49:08 am »
Hello Mici, and welcome aboard! It is always fun to hear and learn more about beekeeping in other parts of the world.  Looking forward to hear from you again!

Offline TaoAndThen

• New Bee
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2006, 12:35:45 pm »
Welcome to the forum and to beekeeping. This is my first year, as well. I have one backyard hive - already planning the 2nd. I have found the members here to be very friendly, informative, supportive, and funny.

What are the caves like in your area? Are you a spelunker? We have some nice caves in the southern part of Indiana.

Amy
It is good to have an end to journey toward, but it is the journey that matters in the end." -Ursula K. LeGuin

Offline Mici

• Super Bee
  • tougher than rock
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2006, 01:04:19 pm »
thanks for such a warm welcome to both of you.

errm, there's only 1 larger cave "close" to me about 10km away, it's not the biggest and not the smallest, it's turistic. anyhow about the caves, there are more than 8500 registered caves in slovenia (only 20.237 sq km) and some are sure the nubmer will at least duble. we also have the first turistic cave Vilenica which i visited about half year ago (if you wish i can send you some photos) the cave is pretty black due to use of torches in the past. what else can i say about them, huh each is special and in Postonjska jama you can also see the local edemical specie the Proteus. and more for information, Kras (Karst) lies in Slovenia. i'll post some links of the caves homepages and pictures.

sorry im not familiar with expression spelunker

http://users.volja.net/zup-jama/ogled.htm
http://www.park-skocjanske-jame.si/Burger/ParkSkocjanskeJameENG.html

now that i've searched the internet i've realized i just might have one of the biggest cave photo collections. so sad, no wonder people don't know about them.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2006, 03:01:11 pm »
>a karst field

What's Karst?

>spelunker

That's a "cave explorer".
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Mici

• Super Bee
  • tougher than rock
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2006, 03:22:20 pm »
i don't know if it's called a karst field, it's a direct translation. Karst or Kras how we call it (the genuine name) is actually a plateau consisting of limestone. it's a unique habitat with unique species and the whole thing about it is that it doesn't hold water, water made a lot of holes throu the limestone, so you can also find large caves.  so from our Karst originates the name karst for all limestone regions in the world -karst regions where you can find karst phenomenas such as sinkholes, stalaktites, uvale and also what i've showed a karst polje (pojle means field in Slovenian and i've looked in the dictonary, when talking about karst, polje is an international term)

I thought spelunker is something like that.

manowar422

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2006, 09:53:10 am »
Alright, this thread has managed to pique my interest. 8)

I'm always reminded of the "vast depth" of my ignorance
when surfing our forum.

Bahahahahahaha

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2006, 02:33:06 am »
The Closest O've gotten to Slovinia was Germany to the NW and Turkey to the SW.  I have a daughter-in-law and granddaughter in Southern Germany.  They are staying with her parents while my son is in Iraq.
Beekeeping in Turkey, when I was there in 1968/69 was still a lot of skeps in use.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2006, 11:47:23 am »
:(   i am going to several countries in europe in a couple of weeks.  now i wish i'd added your area!

oh well, that's a good excuse for another vacation!

welcome  :D   i am new at this too and have gotten some great advice here.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Primrose

• New Bee
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2006, 08:45:43 pm »
Hi Matic,
It's very beautiful where you live.  Thanks for the information regarding bees in the vineyard.  I'm going to look into it further, very interesting.  Jen

anything